Little Bit Of Water In The Basement Under The Drywall, Now What? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

little bit of water in the basement under the drywall, now what?

I was priming over some stains in the basement this morning, getting ready for carpet, and I found this small wet spot. It is about the size of a man's fist. 3 years ago I had a little bit of water in the same spot before there was any drywall, but thought I had remedied the situation. The last time the water didn't come through the concrete, it dripped down from the top of the wall, between the top of the concrete foundation and the wood structure. I assume this is what is happening again. I believe the water is coming in the large gap between the concrete patio and the step going in the house. We've had quite a bit of rain the last few days.

My question for you guys is:

How do I patch the gap in front of the step? It also seems like a fairly large gap under the step.

Will the water dripping down the wall dry out on it's own? I don't have to remove any drywall, do I? There is about 1-2" gap between the concrete and the stud wall I built. There are 2 outlets about 4ft away, they are adjustable so I can take them out since there aren't wired yet and run a fan in the outlets.

Water spot.

Where the water is probably coming in.

Advertisement

jailbird371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,212

Your drywall should be fine----just a suggestion,Cut in a return air vent in that spot to allow you to get some air in there.

The outside? I would take a jack hammer to that step---repair any rotting rim joists and then add a wooden step.

Concrete steps against the wood structure often mean rot,bugs and wasted money.

There ,My experience and my two cents.

Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

Do you have a fiberglass insulation behind the "drywall"? If so cutting a hole will be a folly and the moisture could be held and transferred to the wood and the back of the "drywall". This moisture will feed mold and the wood and cellulose are the food.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote