Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

Share |

Linoleum to cover leaking cement balcony?

The cement balcony in our apartment is leaking water onto the apartment below when it rains. This will be the second time our landlord has had to repair it in just a few months - the first time all they did was cover the cracked surface area with a thin layer of cement, which didn't work at all. Now they're talking about just topping the balcony with linoleum.

Is this really an adequate solution? Obviously it will look bad, but will it even work? And will the linoleum hold up for long outside? We're in Los Angeles, so it doesn't rain all that often here.

max987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #2

absolutley NOT an adequate or acceptable repair.

Nucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #3

Thanks - I figured as much. I don't trust these guys to competently replace a light bulb, but unfortunately don't have much choice in the matter. I would think that the only way to fix the problem correctly would be to completely replace the old cement, and not just patch it or cover it.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by max987 View Post
I would think that the only way to fix the problem correctly would be to completely replace the old cement, and not just patch it or cover it.
No. Even new concrete should net be considered any type of weather protection. Exposed concrete which is needed to weather proof a lower level needs a high quality coating of one of several elastomeric coating.

Your deck situation seems more bothersome that an true building condition.
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by max987 View Post
The cement balcony in our apartment is leaking water onto the apartment below when it rains. This will be the second time our landlord has had to repair it in just a few months - the first time all they did was cover the cracked surface area with a thin layer of cement, which didn't work at all. Now they're talking about just topping the balcony with linoleum.

Is this really an adequate solution? Obviously it will look bad, but will it even work? And will the linoleum hold up for long outside? We're in Los Angeles, so it doesn't rain all that often here.
You know linoleum is for an interior floor, right? How can you possibly think or ask if it will work outside? Your landlord is a slumlord. It will leak if/when he does it right. Until then the apartmewnt below will always have problems. Are they complaining?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #6

max987- can you post some pictures?
Nucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #7

actually the may have been talking about DuraDek or another p.v.c.membrane which looks alot like....well linoleum
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #8

is your balcony situated over living space OR ( more likely ) its covering theirs ?

the proper concrete/waterproofing method/material would have worked but i doubt those clowns went anywhere other than an apron/vest store,,, likely they never found the source of the leaking water, either,,, just the thought that linoleum would resolve it is laughable as you've already thought.

you need to recommend they call a pro as this is clearly out of their league.

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:00 AM   #9

You may be a candidate for a tiled bacony...look into thinsetting 'Ditra' over the concrete, then thinset porcelain tiles to that.

The building code we use says we have to have a membrane (like roofing felt) and other coverings over occupied or unoccupied-space balconies but I'm not so sure you would. Over either existing concrete - or wood - Ditra should protect the tile and waterproof the deck. Slip-proof porcelain would be my choice.

Schluter's Ditra Handbook: look it up.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

Last edited by ccarlisle; 12-09-2010 at 08:12 AM.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #10

Thanks for all the replies - I'm aware that linoleum is not even remotely an adequate solution, nor is patching it or even just replacing the concrete. What I'm suggesting to my landlord is that the balcony needs to be completely redone, and that he needs to hire people who actually know how to do this, rather than just his fix-it guys who are absolute geniuses at making problems exponentially worse than they were to begin with. Your replies are very helpful though - I wanted to be able to show our landlord how ridiculous his suggestions are and this will definitely help!!! I'll post some pics of the cracks in our balcony tomorrow so you can all get a good laugh looking at how it was initially "repaired." I'm starting to think I'll need to get someone from the city to come out here and look at it to force his hand.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:49 AM   #11

You still haven't answered the question of wether this balcony is above another balcony, or above enclosed living space. I think it probably is above another balcony or deck.

I doubt even with the involvement of the city you will be able to force the hand of your land lord. I think you need to either:
1) shut up about it
2) look for a new place to live
3) start packing, cause your landlord is going to force you out
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #12

we have a place like this down at the shore & had the same problem,,, got the hoa to seal the crks in our deck ceiling from underneath & properly install a new elastomeric membrane ( STO ) on the floor above's balcony surface,,, since that's been my work for over 38 yrs, i was on hand to make sure it was done correctly,,, 3yrs & no problems since HOWEVER that deck coating's not permanent as nothing ever is

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balcony, cement, leak, linoleum