Lime Mortar NHL Vs Type S - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

lime mortar NHL vs type S

Howdy,

I've been doing masonry in France for years. I'm used to using NHL-3.5 lime in a 1:6 lime:sand ratio. I'd like to do some masonry here in the states, but I can only find Type S lime.

How do the dolmitic limes here compare to the natural hydaulic limes there? I can't find anyone who compares them side to side. I could have the lime imported, but that seems extravagent.

On a related note, anyone know when I can buy a good rubber 2.5 gallon bucket? A 5 gallon paint bucket with a cheap wire handle just won't cut it.

Simon

Advertisement

SimonFromKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Retired carpenter

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonFromKansas View Post
Howdy,

I've been doing masonry in France for years. I'm used to using NHL-3.5 lime in a 1:6 lime:sand ratio. I'd like to do some masonry here in the states, but I can only find Type S lime.

How do the dolmitic limes here compare to the natural hydaulic limes there? I can't find anyone who compares them side to side. I could have the lime imported, but that seems extravagent.

On a related note, anyone know when I can buy a good rubber 2.5 gallon bucket? A 5 gallon paint bucket with a cheap wire handle just won't cut it.

Simon
Try mixing some Type S lime with sand using the same 1:6 ratio. My guess is that you won't know the difference.

The only mixing tubs/troughs I've seen in the US are cheap plastic. If I were a mason, that's the kind of thing I would import.

Advertisement

abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracaboom View Post
Try mixing some Type S lime with sand using the same 1:6 ratio. My guess is that you won't know the difference.

The only mixing tubs/troughs I've seen in the US are cheap plastic. If I were a mason, that's the kind of thing I would import.
The list of things I can't find here in the states is starting to get my panties in a bunch. It's not even masonry specific items. Shovels, picks, and now buckets.
SimonFromKansas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bucket , lime , lime mortar , nhl 3.5 , type s