Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #1

Share |

Likely Mold Cause?

So considering purchasing an 'as-is' home in foreclosure. In the basement (mostly unfinished) there is a considerable amount of mold on the sheetrock that is there, as well as the paper on the insulation.

When I pull back the insulation the joists and flooring look brand new, no mold on the wood whatsover. It seems limited to only visable/surfaces.

The agent is saying its due to an improperly vented dryer. I do see a poor old vent that does look rather inadequate, but not sure if the level of mold could be created by just a poorly vented dryer. Is that possible?

Second question - assuming that its purely surface, and due to venting, if i remove all sheetrock, all insulation everything back to bare wood/concrete (remember there's no mold on the wood). Is that good enough? I dont see any other mold in the rest of the house, but I plan to remove any existing carpet for good measure.

The home is in Vermont, 1/3, is slab 8ft ceiling for garage, 1/3 is a slab, but 4 ft cavity, and the remaining 1/3 is dirt. Foundation is poured concrete for the first 2/3, blockwall on the addition or the last 1/3 on hopefully solid footing.

Thanks!

mrvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #2

Likely Mold Cause?

if its not on the wood i would maybe go with it. but let me tell you: i had to deal with mold in the basement of my house that was all over the sheetrock, and its a complete pain in the butt. if you are hardcore and patient enough, go for it. if you want to move in and enjoy the new place, dont do it. one year later i am still fixing up my house from preexisting conditions.

federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #3

Likely Mold Cause?

Thanks, I realize this is a work in progress home. My concern is of course health. If I can get in there soon enough and clean everything out hopefully I can reduce the spread with spring and spores. All insulation will come out and all sheetrock in the basement.

I've heard in mold prone area's a particular paint applied to the wood to make it mold reisistant. What exactly is it? Anything special or any primer?
mrvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #4

Likely Mold Cause?

I would watch out, here on the west coast you see alot of places that are former grow ops with huge mold issues.

I would suggest getting s home inspection done, I researched for a few days before I brought one in to look at place I was looking at buying, he was very keen took almost 7 hours to inspect the whole house; roof, drainage, plumbing, heating, electrical, even the kitchen cabinets.
Adam_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #5

Likely Mold Cause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvt View Post
Thanks, I realize this is a work in progress home. My concern is of course health. If I can get in there soon enough and clean everything out hopefully I can reduce the spread with spring and spores. All insulation will come out and all sheetrock in the basement.

I've heard in mold prone area's a particular paint applied to the wood to make it mold reisistant. What exactly is it? Anything special or any primer?
there is a chemical addictive paint out there you can paint on studs to make it mold resistant, but thats more of a preventive thing before you get it. i forget the name but google Q2000 or something to that effect.
federer is offline   Reply With Quote