Likely Mold Cause?
So considering purchasing an 'as-is' home in foreclosure. In the basement (mostly unfinished) there is a considerable amount of mold on the sheetrock that is there, as well as the paper on the insulation.
When I pull back the insulation the joists and flooring look brand new, no mold on the wood whatsover. It seems limited to only visable/surfaces.
The agent is saying its due to an improperly vented dryer. I do see a poor old vent that does look rather inadequate, but not sure if the level of mold could be created by just a poorly vented dryer. Is that possible?
Second question - assuming that its purely surface, and due to venting, if i remove all sheetrock, all insulation everything back to bare wood/concrete (remember there's no mold on the wood). Is that good enough? I dont see any other mold in the rest of the house, but I plan to remove any existing carpet for good measure.
The home is in Vermont, 1/3, is slab 8ft ceiling for garage, 1/3 is a slab, but 4 ft cavity, and the remaining 1/3 is dirt. Foundation is poured concrete for the first 2/3, blockwall on the addition or the last 1/3 on hopefully solid footing.