Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lifting a detached Building

I currently have a 30' X 40' stick-frame shop in my back yard. It currently is on a floating concrete slab with (1) course of 6" X 16" concrete blocks w/ 9' 2x4 stud walls. I would like to lift the building to increase the ceiling height. According to the city where I live I can have a roof height approx. 3' higher then it currently is. I would like to raise it 30". To keep costs down I would like to build a 2x4 knee-wall to sandwich between the block and existing building. I am planning to hire a house mover to lift it so I am not worried about getting up there. My question is, what is the best way to secure the knee-wall to the existing structure to keep it from "hinging" between the knee-wall and existing lower plate. I was thinking of removing approx. 18" of existing exterior OSB sheeting from the bottom of the existing building and then use full width sheets of new OSB to tie in the new and old walls. Does anyone have any experience with this type of addition? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

mlouisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

Not. Cant be done safely. If you attach a knee wall that point will be a week spot susceptible to wind loads. A good heavy consistent wind may break the building at the line where the 2 parts meet. Best option is to lift the building and place CMU blocks on top of the existing to extend it up wards. Make sure you attach some rebar between the old and new blocks for added strength.

USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I think you could do this, but it's going to take a load of material.

First, remove the existing plate, and extend the existing studs to the new plate. Add a new stud to each side, glued and screwed to the newly extended stud. The new studs should be at least twice a long as the stem wall addition and run from the new plate past the stud joint. You may be able to get by with one, but I wouldn't want to chance it...it will be a very vulnerable point in the wall as your aware. The are that could be most problematic is the corner, but I'm sure you can get blocking in to make it work.

Tie the new walls together with plywood, not OSB. On the inside add wind bracing to keep the garage from racking.

I would really consider extending the block wall up and just setting the garage back down with out altering the structure.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote