Life Expectancy Of Typical "stick-built" Union Home - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Life expectancy of typical "stick-built" union home

Hi,

I have a pretty random question that I wanted to get a little feedback on. I was wondering what the general life expectancy for a typical, "stick-built" union home that was built in the 1990's would be approximately.

First, I understand there are almost unlimited variables to this such as:

1. How well is it being maintained?
2. Who was the builder?
3. What is the climate like?
4. Is it free of water and bugs?

So, I guess I'm asking - if one of these types of homes is kept free of water/bugs, and has been property maintained - can 100 years be expected without any major renovations aside from obviously a new roof, etc.?

Thanks for the feedback!

Advertisement

tjndnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,546

Assuming no disasters like fire or flood and proper maintenance, the structure should last forever. Modern plumbing and electrical products should last for most of that as well.

Advertisement

Last edited by joed; 05-17-2013 at 08:31 AM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

sure, why not.

a new roof is not a renovation, its a maint item.

you have to look at each part of the home and determine its expected life cycle. there really is no part of a house that is 100% non maintenance item.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 626

sure it can last for ever! It is the up keep that matters, Also the grade of lumber used the quality of workmanship. ect you could have a member from the Local union hall build you a home using #3 or btr lumber and OSB and or green s dry lumber and all min quality mattierals in the home. Then you can have a non union carpenter use J grade lumber that is better then #1 or better and all high end top shelf matirials in the home. One of them is going to last longer and be easier to maintain then the other.
kinda need to look at this from the ground up not just who swung the hammer.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I posted this some time ago.

http://www.nahb.org/fileUpload_detai...ontentID=99359

Long term, upkeep is what it is really about though. I worked mainly on antique homes, many more than a century-and-a-half old, that were nicely constructed and for the most part, nicely maintained. They will be around, properly maintained and with attention to pest control and save for some natural disaster or unfortunate circumstance, for another 150 years.

On the other hand, I have seen too much "new construction" built with shoddy materials and lack of craftsmanship that are hard to sell after only 5-10 years. Where I moved from, when selling a newly constructed home the name of the builder was of paramount importance. It was not uncommon to see homes next to each other of similar appearance, square footage and ammenities with $20-30K in just the asking price difference based on the company that built them. I suspect negotiated prices were even lower in some instances.

The folks that hired people with levels and squares, union or non-union, seemed to fare better long term than the "Nail it Gus!" types that magically sighted walls and floors and hung doors that didn't quite open all the way.

Last edited by user1007; 05-17-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote