Leveling Wood Floor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2006, 09:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Leveling wood floor

Hi Everyone,

I have an old house that I would like to try to level the wood floor, before finishing the floors. I have floor boards nailed to the beams, and I took of a layer of tongue and groove boards off. I don't want to remove the floor boards, but instead I want to lay 3/4 plywood on top of the floor boards, and level the plywood as I go. Whats the best way to do this? This is the main floor, living room, dinning room, and kitchen. They are dips on the floor, due to age on the house, if I start ripping beams out, I will run out of money, Thanks

Advertisement

helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Leveling wood floor

Depending on how big the dips are you can use pieces of 30lb felt paper (for roofing) folded back to transition to level, roofing shingles are also common for larger dips or even use thin wood strips if the dips are real big (and then use the felt paper for a smooth transition). Then put the plywood over it and secure. For raised parts an edger would be best-although i'm sure any sander would work just would take longer.

Advertisement

AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote