Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

leveling steel posts for deck

I am building an 10' elevated deck that will have a steel I beam and 3-4" steel posts spaced 16' apart set on concrete piles. The posts will be attached to the piles with weld neck flanges on the posts and I am trying to figure out how to make sure they are level before I set the beam on them. I plan on putting the threaded studs in the concrete with a template for the flange and the steel supplier says I can adjust the flanges so the posts are all the same height by adjusting with nuts put under the flange but won't this put all on the weight of the deck on the threads of the stud and not be carried by the concrete? Looking for any ideas on how I can adjust the post height or a good accurate way of ensuring the posts are the right length before I set them in place.

billybarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,058

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybarty View Post
I am building an 10' elevated deck that will have a steel I beam and 3-4" steel posts spaced 16' apart set on concrete piles. The posts will be attached to the piles with weld neck flanges on the posts and I am trying to figure out how to make sure they are level before I set the beam on them. I plan on putting the threaded studs in the concrete with a template for the flange and the steel supplier says I can adjust the flanges so the posts are all the same height by adjusting with nuts put under the flange but won't this put all on the weight of the deck on the threads of the stud and not be carried by the concrete? Looking for any ideas on how I can adjust the post height or a good accurate way of ensuring the posts are the right length before I set them in place.
Ayuh,.... Set the posts, usin' string lines, levels, or laser to where they gotta be,...
Bolt or weld on the top beam...
At the end of the day,...
Ya pack under the base plate, where the adjustin' nuts are, with no-shink hyd. grout....
That spreads the load off the studs, to the base concrete...

Odds are the studs alone will carry the loads,...
The grout can make ys feel Better though...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the help. Been looking at wood beam span tables as well and a 3x12 fir beam I can go 14' between the posts. I've been told if you put plywood in between the 2x when laminating it adds the amount of span but can't find anything saying that for sure. Would you know if this is true?
Old 06-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybarty View Post
http://www.beardesign.net/phpmyfaq/a...hal%201999.pdf
read up:
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #5

Very helpful thanks