Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leveling a shed on a concrete slab

When I bought my house last year, there was a 9'x10' concrete slab in the back yard that the previous owner had used for a shed. I decided to use it for the same purpose, so my wife picked out the resin shed kit with the prettiest roof and windows, and I put it together. When I finished, I realized the slab wasn't level, because the shed leans enough that it skews the door frame, and the doors won't shut. Leveling a shed on a concrete slab-20130902_172131.jpg The slab here slopes gently down to the left, so the shed leans in that direction. The door frame on the left side there is about 2-3 inches out of plumb at the top, and the slab definitely isn't that far off level. The kit came with a couple shims to correct door alignment problems, but nothing this drastic. Also, I think those are to deal with floors that are level but not entirely flat. (I still tried them, of course. No noticeable difference.)

Obviously at this point the best option would be to take apart the shed, find a way to level the base, and start over, but this is a resin shed held together by metal screws that did not go into pre-tapped holes. I'm not entirely sure that it would go back together properly if I took it apart. (Also, the wife is pretty mad that it's not already done, and starting over is not going to improve her mood.)

So the question is, before I go to that extreme, is there a way to get those doors to close? I thought trying to lift the low end a bit might do it, maybe sliding in a sheet of plywood or something, but the instructions to align the doors were a little counter-intuitive to me, so I'm not sure I'm picturing it the right way (the instructions say that if the left door is too high, you shim the front right and back left of the shed). Maybe bracing the left wall, or pulling on the right wall? Some combination of the three? I'd really appreciate any advice, suggestions, or guesses.

jcorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

On top of all that you did not fill in the void in the block so now water can fill them up and bust them when it freezes and the side of the sheds over hanging the slab which in it's self can cause the doors to be off because all the weights on the outside edges.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,836

How heavy is this shed? Could you lever it up to level and add long tapered shims made from green treated wood?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Yes, this was a bad job all around.

The shed weighs about 500 lbs. Long shims might work.

Last edited by jcorno; 09-02-2013 at 06:16 PM.
jcorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,152

You'll soon find out you'll always have trouble with those doors on a plastic shed.
There just not sturdy enough.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,836

If you have a table saw or Skilsaw you can rip some long shims---

That will be dangerous work,so be careful.

You learned a hard lesson on that one---