Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #1

Share |

Leveling Mobile Home Ceiling

Ok, I know this is likely to start some opinion wars, but I gotta ask.

I have a double wide mobile home that has multiple additions built on. So wife and I were talking about the one thing that would make the place nice. Leveling the ceilings topped the list. I'm pretty handy, but I'm not a structural engineer by any means.

Throughout the trailer, the high point in the ceiling is in the middle where the two halves meet and is about 9 foot tall at that point. It slopes down to the ends to about 7 foot.

Here's what I want t do. I want to raise the outside walls so the ceiling joists are level. At the same time, I want to change the angle of the roof from 3/12 to 6/12. And I would like to pull all additions under one cohesive looking roof rather than looking like a lean to shed.

Facts: My exterior walls are 2x4 with double layer 1/2" plywood on the outside. My current ceiling and roof joists are all in one very technical combination.

Here's where I'm getting hypothetical. Assume the foundation support is sufficient to handle the added load.

To raise my ceilings, I'm aware I'd have to remove the existing roof structure. Plan on that as my roof sheathing is not healthy. I would have to add in rafters and joists. My question is more along the lines of the walls. Could I add an extension to the 2x4 walls to make the ceiling height level? Maybe using nut & bolt fasteners? Or would I have to tear out and rebuild the walls?

What do you all think? Other than this is a totally stupid idea (I agree), or I should just sell the mobile home and build new (mobile home not worth to get my money back), or sell the whole damn thing and live somewhere else (we absolutely love the property).

Thanks,
Tim

myowneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #2

Don't you just hate when you look for an answer, and can't find one. Then you post the question. And right after that, you find the answer?

http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par005.htm

Studs shall be continuous from support at the sole plate to a support at the top plate to resist loads perpendicular to the wall.

So never mind. Answered my own question

Old 01-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #3

Sorry reality sucks.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

well Tim, I wont say "this is a totally stupid idea" you want what you want.

if this is your property? and you love it, by all means do whatever you want. however, I personally believe you're going to spend a ton of money, many, many hours of your labor? in the end, you'll still have a double wide trailer.

will the existing foundation hold it? I'm not sure. the outer perimeter, probably will. it's the rest that concerns me your interior walls aren't framed as supporting walls? the middle beams where put together probably aren't either? I'm thinking you may need some steel support beams under the entire structure?

once you have the roof raised, your interior walls wont reach the new ceiling height. you'll have to demo the interior to replace new walls, that will be structurally sound.

I wouldn't tell you not to try this. it's probably in the neighborhood of $15-$20,000? and still be left with a double wide. your money your call.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #5

Yeah, I've gone through a lot of scenerios on this one. It would take a LOT to make us up and sell this place. And the amount of destruction it would take to remove the trailer would mean a loss of at least $40k in value. None of the interior walls are framed as structural so far as I've nocticed. Although with my recent master bath, the wall that seperates bath and bed has been reframed from 2x3's to 2x6's and put in to reduce the overall span of the center beams. So at least the center beams are not a 50' span of unsupported beam.

I know it'd be a lot of work and I think you're estimate is a bit low at that. But for now, this whole scenario is just a theory.