Ledgerloks - Are These For Real? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 154

Ledgerloks - Are these for real?

I attached a ledger with 1/2" through bolts and decided to increase the strength by placing Ledgerloks on the lower edge. The heads sank into the wood and didn't seem all that strong. I backed them out and replaced them with 3/8" lags. The 3/8" lags with the larger washer size, flattened out the cupped wood nicely.

According to their chart, Ledgerloks have more shear strength than 1/2" lags. Setting them side by side its hard to imagine that. Under stress a 1/2" lag bolt is going to displace at least twice as much wood as the Ledgerlok.

http://www.olyfast.com/pdf/LedgerLok%20Ad%20HIE.pdf

A 16d nail has more shear strength than a 3/8" lag? Am I reading their chart correctly?
Attached Thumbnails
Ledgerloks - Are these for real?-img_2014.jpg  

Advertisement

ovahimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,278

I haven't seen shear values for lag bolts but those given for nails look right if they are Common nails rather than Box or Sinkers. Can't imagine why the lags would be less but data can surprise you sometimes. Maybe because the lags open a bigger hole across the grain fibers???

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Shear value is not only dependent on diameter but also the material the units are made of and their treatment. An overboard example would be the difference in shear value of a 16d nail and a " lead plug.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

The ledgerlocks are locally code approved in our county and I've been pretty impressed with their performance from what I've seen demonstrated with them. Better than lags? I dunno. But I'd say they're a fair equivalent for sure.

Personally, I'm a lag bolt guy and probably always will be. Any and every hardware store has them!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Ledgerlocks are made from higher carbon, higher grade steel and are hardended. Makes a huge difference. Standard lag bolts are not hardened and are likely made from a low carbon steel. The company also claims no pilot holes are needed. There are also competing brands so don't feel you have to find "ledgerlock". The HD by me sells "Spax" lag bolts which are the same thing.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 154

A while ago I read about a deck study where decks were loaded until they failed. In those cases a 1/2" lag never broke, but it crushed the wood around it, causing the failure. Unfortunately, on searching, I haven't been able to retrieve the study. Assuming the ledgerlok will never break, it is pushing against much less wood, both the head and shaft.

Advertisement

ovahimba is offline   Reply With Quote