Ledger Over Brick Veneer Help?? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ledger over brick veneer help??

So I've read a few places that you cant secure the ledger through brick and into the band/joists in the house. The alternative everyone suggests is a freestanding deck, but this deck is going to be 11' high, not a ground level one and probably going to have a pretty good number of people on it pretty often for the 5-6 good months around here. I'm not looking to skimp, I'll do whatever i have to make a good, safe, sturdy deck.Even if that means attaching the ledger through the brick and STILL putting posts a foot or two off the wall (anyone think that would work?) So is there any other ways to go about securing the ledger? I know there must be but I just havent come across it yet. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,
Joe

Advertisement

joeg11781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,142

Ledger over brick veneer help??

If it will be that heavily loaded and that high, you should have someone design it for you. This is especially true if you are thinking of going through a brick veneer.

The brick veneer itself has no ability to provide lateral support since it is not inteded to supply it.

Opening up the veneer creates a very high probablity of water pentration and all the associated problems. This is the reason ledger constructed decks are not permitted in many places and why some contractors refuse to build them. - Law suits and personal injuries are not cheap to defend.

It sounds like you want to get horizontal support to prevent swaying and discomfort with large groups and heavy loads without a lot of lateral bracing below the deck. This is not easy (or cheap) and requires someone that is familiar with the problem.

Advertisement

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote