Ledger And Deck Remodel - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ledger and Deck Remodel

I am working on a deck remodel, and have recently removed the extisting deck. I've kept the ledger behind, but am concerned about the remnants left behind by the old joist hangars and nails. Should I:

a) avoid or go ahead and attach the new hangars over where the old one's were... is there a stability issue?

b) if I avoid placing the new hangars over the where the old ones were, do I need to fill in any nail holes left behind... should I be concerned about water entering those holes?

c) replace the ledger altogether (although I don't really want to do that) ?

d) other suggetions I'm not even thinking of?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Mr.S Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 150

Ledger and Deck Remodel

Why are you replacing all the joists and everything? Are they in bad shape, or are you just redoing the layout of the deck? If you are tearing it all out because they are in bad shape, then presumably the ledge is in bad shape too and should be replaced. But otherwise, so long as the ledger is pressure treated, seems structurally fine and is properly lagged into the house, I don't see why you can't reuse it. But without see it and the plan for the new deck, no one can say with certainty.

Advertisement

adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,080

Ledger and Deck Remodel

I have worked in Puyallup for years as I live in Tacoma.

The Building Inspectors there are very precise, but fair.

The condition of the: flashing; ledger board; and bolts (quantity, spacing, length, galvanized coating left, and use of washers) would be my main concern.

I would replace it all to bring it up to the minimum safety code, which is why you should get a building permit. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #4

Ledger and Deck Remodel

Thank you, G; that's a great point about the safety code. Do you see any issues with replacing the ledger board, but keeping the exisiting carriage bolts in place? Again, thank you.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,080

Ledger and Deck Remodel

As codes are updated, a lot of the requirements become more stringent for safety. The spacing may not meet today's minimum standards, which are a lot better than yesteryear's. It is fairly easy to replace bolts, if difficult- it has outlived it's life anyway. Run the project past the City B.D. for the current spacing, size, length, etc.

Peace of mind, knowing that the new deck is safe for your family and friends, has a lot going for it.
http://www.nadra.org/industry_news/april07_woodbits.pdf Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #6

Ledger and Deck Remodel

Thank you, G. That's just the information I needed. I'm sure I'll be posting additional questions as my project continues. Perhaps we'll run into each other again. Again, thank you.

Advertisement

Tags
deck , hangars , joist , ledger