Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #1

Share |

Ledger Bolts: Why not "nuts out"?

I'm attaching the deck ledger to the rim joist, which is accessible from both sides. So that means I can use through bolts and nuts. Made me wonder: Why, in all of the photos I have seen of this type of installation, are the bolts installed with the heads outside on the ledger exterior and the nuts on the rimjoist interior? If the inside nuts ever come loose from the wood relaxing a bit, they could conceivably work their way off, or at least be difficult to retighten (lockwasher or not). (I should mention that I've lived here twenty years and hope to make it another twenty. And we have small quakes.)

Not only that, how can you wrench-tighten a carriage bolt head after it's installed and the nut end is inaccessible? On the other hand, if the nuts are on the exterior, the bolt head is captive inside the rimjoist and the nuts can be tightened outside, if necessary.

Or, is it all just a matter of carpentry aesthetics?

metlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #2

Many use lag bolts for this application, so there wouldn't be any nuts involved.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #3

In ICF construction J bolts for ledgers are often embedded in the concrete wall when poured which requires the nut to be on the outside so I doubt it makes a difference. I also doubt that the nuts will become loose and fall off over time.

Does your AHJ have an opinion? (AHJ= Authority Having Jurisdiction= Inspector)
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

If you are forced to use a ledger attachment instead of free-standing, many places do not allow lag bolts. What you must do is sure it is properly flashed and sealed, starting under the moisture barrier.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Dick gave you the answer, though I think it needs a bit more explanation.

The flashing you need to use over the attachment bolts will neatly and cleanly clear smooth, embedded carriage bolt heads. Not so, if you have the other end with the nut, washer, and protruding bolt end shoving the flashing up and out of the way.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #6

If you put the nut outside, it could easily rust. The tightening torque you apply removes the galvanized coating from the bolt treads and/or the nut threads. Then if it gets wet, it will rust. (Unless you used stainless steel). Run a continuous bead of caulking along the bottom, outside edge of the ledger (to act as a drip lip) if installed above siding. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #7

Thanks for the timely replies.

There seems to be a variety of opinion on flashing systems, ledger fasteners and their schedules. One common theme is that thru-bolts are nearly twice as effective as lag bolts. So that's what I'm using, where possible, every 24 inches.

In my case, the ledger flashing is more of a "head" flashing, which bends out over the front of the ledger and down about 1-1/2 inches. As the fasteners are 2-1/4 inches down the ledger, they are not directly involved with the flashing, although I suppose a kick-edge on the flashing would help divert water away from a lower-profile (carriage bolthead) connector.

As I'm not too keen on stacked washers as ledger spacers, the ledger itself is spaced 1/4" out from the Tyvek shearwall using Simpson bearing-plate washers wrapped with strips of Grace black flashing that is stapled to the ledger to secure them for installation, protect them and "gasket" the bolt connections.

The ledger flashing is a secondary flashing; the topmost flashing starts at the wall, under the furred-out siding (and Tyvek), juts out to cover the first half-course of decking (2-1/2 inches), then bends down to divert water to the plastic Deck Drain hung under the joists.
metlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #8

This will answer most deck building questions, especially on spacing ledger fasteners: http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6.pdf
And you want the deck to last. My personal favorite: http://books.google.com/books?id=1gg...num=3#PPA31,M1
No location mentioned: http://www.soundfootings.com/pdf/US_...t_DepthAVG.pdf

I encourage you to get a building permit, if not have one already, as it is the minimum safety standards.
Be safe, G

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote