Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Ledger board support - life threatening?

planning to build a pergola in my patio and came up with this idea. Please see attached photo. my plan is to have 2 6x6 posts on the front and on the back I would like to have a ledger board and the rafters would be connected to the ledger board by metal hangers.

My biggest concern is, how to attach the ledger board on the side of the house. I don't want this to collapse and kill my family. we get some good wind on the backyard so it needs to be very stable. one carpenter said he can attach this to the studs with 3" screws but I need professional advice on the best way to secure this. it won't be carrying a lot of weight but has to be very secure.

Please see the picture for details. Thanks for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Ledger board support - life threatening?-msg0812181412076.jpg   Ledger board support - life threatening?-msg0812181412076.0812264722343.jpg  

kimbhoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

Industry standard is usually to use lag bolts into each stud in the wall, also there should be solid headers to bolt into over the door and window. You could add two 2 x 6's between door and light, and to the left of the window to look like half posts to mirror the 6 x 6 posts.

Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckweather View Post
Industry standard is usually to use lag bolts into each stud in the wall, also there should be solid headers to bolt into over the door and window. You could add two 2 x 6's between door and light, and to the left of the window to look like half posts to mirror the 6 x 6 posts.
that's a great idea of putting two 2x6, however the main reason for not putting back posts is, on the right side where the light is, I can't put a post as the steps are on the way.

as for using screws, I'm not sure how thick the siding is but the 2x8 ledger board would be 1 1⁄2 in thick. so there would be very little to be screwed into the studs. my concern using lag bolts is, I don't know what else is on the inside of the siding. there's a room on the other side and this ledger board would be within the room height and I don't want to disrupt the interior wall.
kimbhoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,110

Why are you attaching it to the house at all. Most are free standing.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why are you attaching it to the house at all. Most are free standing.
I agree that most are free standing but looking at the picture I'd have no problems attaching to the house.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

I have a patio cover very similar to what you are describing. During my design process, I relied on this local city's patio cover guidance:

http://developmentservices.cityofoxn...vices/b810.pdf

It might help you with your design. Every city has their own building department, so check with them first. Also, this design is for California and we don't have many hurricanes here--just earthquakes

This plan recommends using 1/2" by 5.5" lag bolts to connect the ledger to the house. Just make sure that they go into the existing wall's framing. It would be bad if your lag bolts just went into the siding material.

Last edited by loftezy; 08-22-2012 at 05:59 PM.
loftezy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loftezy For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #7

If you decide to attach the ledger to the house, check out 'Ledger Lok'.

http://www.fastenmaster.com/details/...-fastener.html

I used them for my patio with great success.
NASCAR9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

If you attach a ledger you need to pull off the siding and attach it directly. Then redo the siding around the ledger. Most cities have this as code these days anyway and generally attaching directly to the house will require a permit. Freestanding does not. At least that is what I found to be common around me.
SeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCAR9 View Post
If you decide to attach the ledger to the house, check out 'Ledger Lok'.

http://www.fastenmaster.com/details/...-fastener.html

I used them for my patio with great success.
Hmmm I forgot about those. I have used them a couple times. They are sort of a lag/screw hybrid if I recall. Length would be about ledger + 2-1/2' = 4" without the siding, (looks like maybe 3/4" thick vertical). Cut tight to the bottom it would give minimal extra support. Also check town ordinances. some say when and if you need to apply for a permit.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #10

I wouldn't worry at all at ledger locking a ledger in your situation. They have different lengths. The most important thing is properly flash after the roof is done.

Tham

Tham is offline   Reply With Quote