Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ledger Board Mounting to Rim Joist

I am planning to attach a deck to my house and have a question about attaching the ledger board. The rim joist is (2) 2x10's sandwiched and I want to use a 2x10 for my ledger board. I need to mount the top of the ledger board halfway down the rim joist. The gives me 5" of the rim joist to attach my ledger board. Is this an issue or do I need bolts attached to the bottom 5" of my ledger board as well? The issue is that below the rim joist is concrete block with brick covering so mounting the bottom of the ledger board is a bit of an issue.

markjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

If this is just a single story house then it's always better to build the deck free standing, not attached to the house in anyway.
Reason being then there's 0 chance of any damage being done to the sheathing or siding on the house from moisture damage.

If you spend some time looking around on this site your going to see there's hundreds of people trying to build there own decks, and by far to many had no clue and most would never even pass inspection so please feel free to ask a ton of questions so you only have to do this one time.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #3

I have done months of research and feel like I have everything covered. Every aspect of the deck I have verified code requirements in my area and plan on getting a permit and having it inspected. The only thing I cannot find an answer for is the question above.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,126

Mark - You have done the research based on code minimums, which are the worst you can do and still stay out of jail. The inspectors do it by the book and not what is best. - That is the problem minimal codes requirements, but you can easily get an official approval if you did your research.

At least you are talking about bolts and not just lag screws.

There is no question that free-standing decks can be the best option in the long run.

Specs and codes rarely address the problems with proper ledger attachment and the flashing necessary to make it really work in the long run.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

If you are dead set on fastening it to the house, is it real brick, or a facing on the blocks? There should be an additional 3 inches for the two sills below the rim. Did you include that in the 5 inches? There are several brands of expansion anchors that you would drill into the brick. They come in many lengths in case you have to shim behind it to be flush with whatever projects over the foundation. Of course you have to use plenty of flashing, self adhesive water barrier, calking, and trick photography, to insure it never leaks.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #6

There is only one sill and I did not include that in the 5" and it is real brick.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,112

by having hte ledger hangin down slightly it limits the ability to stagger the bolts from top to bottom of the 2x10

regarding water damage, if the ledger is properly flashed it shouldnt be an issue
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,152

If I have to do it I remove all the siding in that area, cover the sheathing with Storm and Ice Shield to 1" below the foundation.
I use 1 X 4 X 9 1/2" vinyl lumber sitting vertical as a spacers so the ledger does not trap water up againt the rim joist, then through bolt the ledger through the rim joist.

I then use a vinyl flashing that's bendable and holds it's shape. It's sold in the same area as the other flashing in any box store to go up the wall and out over the new ledger.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

[quote=joecaption;1013683]If
I use 1 X 4 X 9 1/2" vinyl lumber sitting vertical as a spacers so the ledger does not trap water up againt the rim joist, then through bolt the ledger through the rim joist.
I worked for an architect that used 1/2" thick plastic washers with a o ring on either side to space the ledger out. He also used them, (without o rings), to keep the posts from contacting the concrete footing
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #10

There are (2) 2X10's making up the rim joist? What benefit does doubling up give?
ItsaSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #11
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaSpider View Post
There are (2) 2X10's making up the rim joist? What benefit does doubling up give?
if it is connected to the posts correctly it looks like a beam...

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote