Ledger Board To The House - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

ledger board to the house

I am building a deck at my house. I had a deck before that was 8x12, which was attached to the house. I ripped that one off to build a bigger one. Here is my question.

As this deck will be larger, my question involves attaching a ledger board to the house that will EXTEND past the end of the house by about a 10-12 inches (dont worry I have plenty of room to the property line to extend).

As it only extends 10-12 inches past the end of the house, I was thinking I could simply go past the end of the house, add the flashing and calk all around where it could touch the house.

Anything else to do/think of here??

Thanks,
Adam

Advertisement

redroc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Dig a hole below the frostline and install a sonotube and post where the ledger extends past the house.
There should be no use of caulking on a ledger board.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
We pick these?

Rewards Points: 75

Cantilevering would be possible, but sticking a 2' piece of ledger on willy-nilly wouldn't qualify. You could double the ledger, making it a beam, and let it hang out in the breeze. That would probably cause you to have to reflash the whole thing. Is an extra foot worth all that trouble? Maybe not, but an extra 3' would make it worth an extra footing and post, IMO.
NailedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,010

Run it buy your local Building Department, for review. Install a pier and footing 2' back on the last rim joist, away from the house, that defines the end of the deck. (Perpendicular to the ledger). There would be no load then to argue about with the officials.
Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction , deck , ledger board