Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #1

Share |

Ledge Plate mounting on uneven concrete floor

Hello, I was looking for help on a header board that I'd like to mount to our concrete walkway floor instead of to our brick faced house.

I'm leaving the concrete walkway underneath, as the front deck will only be temporary. We have a small walkway that we'd like to add a ten foot wide deck onto. I've made a deck before, but here my problem is that I'm not using a ledge plate like I normally do.

I'd like to put one PT board along the side of the house, attached to the concrete floor and not the wall. Normally it wouldn't be difficult either but the concrete is (purposely) sloped for rail runoff.

Short of ripping a board diagonally to level it, is there a better way? I can only go past the concrete on one side, so I can't do posts and hover it over the cement, and attaching to the wall is not allowed.

Any ideas? Can I just shim the footer board with composite shims around where I'm securing it (every 18" OC).

I have attached a picture for review, any input greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

jdm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #2

When you open the door, how much clearance do you have under it? Five or 6" at most?
What's the decking going to be, 5/4" or 2x4(2x6) material?
how far does the deck extend from the wall?
I see no space for a sill to rest the deck on. I do see a 2x6 cut on a bevel, resting on the overly slanted concrete, with a 5/4" decking material.
You can secure the joists to the concrete with "L" brackets.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #3

Ron, first off, thanks for the quick reply!

You're correct, I have about 5 inches of space for the door before I run out of room. I planned on making 4 posts on the grass (2 just off of the concrete for a stringer) and 2 about ten feet from the wall for the for front posts).

I planned on using 5/4 and using the stinger to help support the thin framing material. It's not going to have anything on the front porch deck, it's just to make a wider walkway.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #4

Ron,

What did you mean by using L brackets on the joists? Is that instead of joist hangers?

I didnt quite follow.

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
Old 08-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm001 View Post
Ron,

What did you mean by using L brackets on the joists? Is that instead of joist hangers?

I didnt quite follow.

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
You are resting the joists on the concrete by the door. You are not attaching the ledger to the house. The "L" brackets would be attached to the joists, resting on the concrete, which would be attached to the sloped walkway.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote