Leaning Gazebo - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leaning Gazebo

Hey everyone! New to the site but it seems like everyone here is really unified in helping each other with their questions and projects which is awesome! I am working this summer out at my parents house and they've asked me to work on their gazebo which is leaning. Not good.
It's wooden, about 10 feet across and 13 feet at it's highest point. Octagon shaped with a railing around 7 sides roughly 3 feet up the support beams. It's attached to the deck out by our pool but mainly just seems to be too top heavy. What are some ways I can get this thing back to center? Or would it just e better to rebuild? Thanks for your help everyone! Name's Henry
Attached Thumbnails
Leaning Gazebo-image-2066328658.jpg  

Advertisement

HBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 602

Leaning Gazebo

Sure looks like it was built using just 4 X 4's.
Were they at least set in concrete? How deep.

How are they attached at the top.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #3

Leaning Gazebo

Not set in concrete. Two beams go to metal braces set atop concrete blocks. Look like pavers. Two go down into the ground. Not very far, maybe 5 inches or so. The others are just down to the ground connected (nailed) to the deck. At the top they are only connected to the joists supporting the ceiling and then the decorative, and I use that term loosely, 2 x 4's that are nailed around the outside. Was thinking I could shift it til it stood straight using support beams around the outside and run another section of 2x4s on the inside both at the top and bottom to hold them closer together in the proper standing. Thoughts?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,196

Leaning Gazebo

Weak design---

Borrow several 'come alongs' and pull that back to square---

Add cross bracing to the hand rail a\openings---then Y braces to the roof/post connections.

Do it soon --that looks like it could twist and collapse.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #5

Leaning Gazebo

Oh mike, thanks for the quick reply. So just to clarify you're talking about adding diagonal braces from top to bottom in the hand rail area and then branching braces from the post to the edge of the roof structure? Pardon my ignorance, I'm a mechanic by trade so carpentry and structural design are a bit out of my area of expertise.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
DIY staff

Leaning Gazebo

Yep---an X into the hand rail opening--A Y at the top of each post---

As built there is nothing to keep the posts straight up---
BigJim (04-11-2013)
Old 06-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #7

Leaning Gazebo

Awesome! Thanks. Gotta finish the concrete around the pool today and thatll be tomorrows project. Do you think it'd be beneficial to sink some posts around the exterior posts(4 of them) and lag them together once straight?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
DIY staff

Leaning Gazebo

Once you have it straight and braced--anchoring it properly would be a good idea---

I'm not sure posts are needed--but that sure would keep it grounded in a high wind!
Old 06-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 520

Leaning Gazebo

that would be hard to do after the fact. imagine trying to dig into the soil with a deck that low to the ground. i would pull it back to plumb, add the X & W bracing you suggested and keep an eye on it. if it starts to lean again, well then it should be joined to a proper concerte pier below ground and you just have to bite the bullet and do some real sweat equity.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 240

Leaning Gazebo

they needed to be set in concrete, not on blocks. you might get luck and fix it but id replace every post and set in concrete, then id walk away and never have to worry about.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #11

Leaning Gazebo

I would like everyone to know I had the same problem with a gazebo I had. I tried the "pull to plumb" that a person suggested. Don't waste your time on that advice.

If you look at the picture of the gazebo you will notice the 4x4's are leaning. Here is the solution.

Install 6x6 posts buried and set in concrete. Do Y bracing at the top of each 6x6.

The 4x4's in the picture are leaning because they do not have proper foundation but most importantly because 4x4's twist when they dry. They are just not a good post to use for roofs. 6x6 has a buckle strength of 17000-20,000 pounds depending on the grade you get.

Therefore if you properly install 6x6 posts and set them in concrete you will not have to worry about this gazebo roof falling.

6x6x14 will run 35 dollars each, plus the concrete. Total costs will run 300-350 to stabilize the roof.

Advertisement

mississippiman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mississippiman For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-11-2013)