Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2006, 01:24 PM   #1

Share |

Leaning Garage

I have a two car garage that is tilting forward and to one side. The garage has sliding rail doors which are now probably the only thing that is holding the garage up.
I have some carpentry experience and wonder if I can straighten out the garage in a way that a wall is straightened when you are framing in a house.
I just do not have a clear idea about how to go about the whole thing. I bought two "come alongs" and some chain already.
I'm looking for help or some reference to another site that can provide me with information.
Thanks, Frank C.

jocaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Leaning Garage

......" I have a two car garage that is tilting forward and to one side. The garage has sliding rail doors which are now probably the only thing that is holding the garage up. "

Sorry to say this, but...under that description of the structure, it would be catergorized as unstructurally sound. We would tell the owner it should be taken down and rebuilt as a proper garage.
If you were 'deadset' on making it square and true, be prepared to spend alot of time and money to get it to that point.
True-ing up one side will push EVERYTHING in a certain direction. Then, trying to move the 2nd side back will move everything in another direction....(not to mention, it will move your 1st side back to being out of plumb) Been there and done that.

There are areas that have, over time, 'come apart' and 'loosened up'. Forcing a wall area back over, won't necesarily make those parts come back together tight and square. Having 2 sides off square is even more difficult to do.

Just my 2 cents.

(as a side point: Why are these letters so HUGE!?)

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 05-13-2006 at 02:13 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
Home Improvement Guy

Leaning Garage

I took off my glasses and could still read all the words
ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:43 PM   #4

Leaning Garage

Is this garage on a cement foundation?

Has one side settled farther/deeper into the ground and it needs to be jacked up to make it square?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:32 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Leaning Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline
Is this garage on a cement foundation?

Has one side settled farther/deeper into the ground and it needs to be jacked up to make it square?
Actually, that is the point: To simply "Jack it up" on one side...and to (Assume to)..make it 'square'..... is really not a plausible and possible structural solution....
'Jacking up' one side: very, very rarely 'straigtens out' or 'squares' any reaonable sized structure that has 2 wall areas 'out of' - level and plumb...

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 05-14-2006 at 08:45 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote