Lean To Roof Rafter Help - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lean to roof rafter help

I want to attach a lean to style covering to the side of an existing shed.

Due to height restrictions I don't think I can use a birdsmouth (?) and extend the rafters past the beam as this would make the beam too low.

Is there a way I can attach the rafters without a birdsmouth and still make it sound?

It will be about 6' from the shed and I plan on using 2x6's for the rafters as I have a bunch of extras laying around. The slope will probably only be about a 2/12 but that doesn't matter to me as I mostly want it for protection from the sun.

Advertisement

thrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Lean to roof rafter help

You could use Simpson hangers, or nailing plates. The big problem is going to be that you are going to have a flat roof, and have to use the proper roofing materials, since Shingles may not work, unless you use Steel roofing.

Can you post a picture of your existing structure, and also drawings of the new structure. Have you looked at German House Rebuild in the later posts, where he has done his shed roof, for his storage area?

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 10-24-2013 at 05:57 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 678

Lean to roof rafter help

Got a picture of the shed?
Almost never a good idea to have that low a slope or not to run the rafters up on to the roof of the shed.
If you already have a shed with a gable roof, how would any height restrictions come into play with a new roof that's going to be lower?
By running the rafters from the old roof you would have more pitch and could have 8' ceiling in the new addition.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ectedIndex=167
Old 10-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #4

Lean to roof rafter help

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You could use Simpson hangers, or nailing plates. The big problem is going to be that you are going to have a flat roof, and have to use the proper roofing materials, since Shingles may not work, unless you use Steel roofing.

Is there a special type I would use or just use a regular joist hanger and just have part of the joist sitting in it? This is the part i'm confused about.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Lean to roof rafter help

It would help if you provided a drawing, but I think I know what you're asking. You can just sit the rafter seat on top of the beam (no overhang). Toenail it into the beam with three 16d common nails (two on one side, one on the other). Then use a Simpson rafter tie for added insurance. That side of the rafter won't be going anywhere.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #6

Lean to roof rafter help

I'm having trouble even picturing how a seat cut would have anything to do with a height restriction.
Huge mistake to not have an over hang on all sides.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #7

Lean to roof rafter help

@greg that type of covering is basically what i'm trying to do.

@cor the thing is I can't rest the rafter on top of the beam as that would make the beam too low or else I would just birdsmouth it.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #8

Lean to roof rafter help

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I'm having trouble even picturing how a seat cut would have anything to do with a height restriction.
Huge mistake to not have an over hang on all sides.

I was planning on having a 2 inch overhang from the covering. As this is just going to be a covering to store stuff under that won't get a constaing stream of rain on it if it rains.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #9

Lean to roof rafter help

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrw View Post
@cor the thing is I can't rest the rafter on top of the beam as that would make the beam too low or else I would just birdsmouth it.
Hm. I'm confused. You're building the beam, right? You can build it as high or low a you like.

BTW, this is the problem with asking a design question with no diagrams, no pictures and minimal details. You end up with people guessing at what exactly you're trying to do and what your constraints are.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #10

Lean to roof rafter help

Right so the shed i'm going next to I cannot go up higher on the roof because there is an antenna attached to the roof on that side.

So the side of the lean to that will be next to the shed is roughly 9 feet from ground to the top. So if I come out about 7' from that and have the beam be a 2x8 and be 2' lower than the high side to give slope.

9' = 108''
-2' = 84''
-7.25 (2x8) beam = 76.75

= roughly 6 1/2 ' at the low end.

If I have the 2x6 rafters sit on top of the 2x8 beam that brings me down to about 6'. I'm 6'6'' tall and don't want to have to bend over that far.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #11

Lean to roof rafter help

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrw View Post
If I have the 2x6 rafters sit on top of the 2x8 beam that brings me down to about 6'. I'm 6'6'' tall and don't want to have to bend over that far.
So your only (or preferred) path of entry into the newly covered area is under the beam?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #12

Lean to roof rafter help

Still waiting for that picture.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #13

Lean to roof rafter help

I don't have a picture as i'm at work right now but basically this is what is going on.

My thought is how do I terminate the new roof (black line) into the post/beam (red line)
Attached Thumbnails
Lean to roof rafter help-drawing.jpg  
Old 10-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #14

Lean to roof rafter help

Not sure why you would have an antenna in the middle of a roof that can cause leaks but there still more then enough room to install the rafters on the roof where they need to be and cut a birds mouth.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #15

Lean to roof rafter help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post
So your only (or preferred) path of entry into the newly covered area is under the beam?
No but I thought there was height requirements for openings like that.

Advertisement