Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

leaky French doors?

My contractor is starting an addition and I am wanting to have French doors installed in the master bedroom. The framer is trying to discourage us from having the double French doors put in because ofthe tendency for leakage. Has anybody had this problem, whether u installed them or a professional installed them?

llucas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

leaky French doors?

Not a problem, if you use quality doors like Marvin or Andersen. I don't like Pella, but that is only because they rot out prematurely.

Framers generally don't install doors, and often do it wrong(I'll catch flack from that statement). They are in too much of hurry. Framing is usually not exact, where properly hanging doors is absolutely necessary for them to perform over time. Special attention to flashing and caulking is a must to prevent leaks.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

leaky French doors?

I vote with Bill, and I'll take the flack from framers. In my time, during and immediately after high school, I worked for a framing contractor-we did not do doors or trim. I have also worked for a trim carpenter-we did not do framing, custom trim and doors/windows. Hanging doors is, well-an art in itself. I'll go so far as to make this statement: Anyone can hang a door, not everyone can hang a door correctly. BOY, I'll catch the devil on that one. French doors need not leak IF: 1) They are quality doors (I actually like all three of those brands IF properly installed and painted), and 2) they are properly installed. I would suggest that IF you are looking at a quality French door unit for your home, find you a competent trim carpenter who hangs doors to do this job. Ride around to find a trim carpenter working on a house if necessary, look at his work, talk to him about hanging this door, ASK up front if he is licensed and has insurance, or if you can hire him through his GC. Bill-I have seen all three of those brands with premature rot, IMO usually caused by improper caulking/painting methods. We each have our own problems and opinions, that's why we live in America. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote