Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #1

Share |

Leaky foundation

I have a brand new house with a sump pump in the basement with a float activated pump. Recently the float got hung up and the sump pit overflowed. There was alot of water that came out of the pit, but I also noticed that this had caused water to come through the wall on the other side of the basement. Is it normal for a foundation to leak if the weeping tile system gets too full?

jools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Leaky foundation

With the pump out of commission, it raised the water table around your house by 2 feet or more, because you are not removing the water and it can build up well above the floor level. - That can create a lot of pressure to force water inward.

I would take a close look at your pump system and try to make it more reliable.

I would also take a close look at the exterior of your home, especially because it is new. There is usually settlement of the backfill all around a foundation that will collect water instead of shedding if away. Make sure you have long downspout extensions (8-10') and that the surface water drains away.

Keep in mnd that the hole the builder digs for a house looks just like the one he would dig for a swimming pool. Don't let the surface and rain water fill the pool!

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #3

Leaky foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
With the pump out of commission, it raised the water table around your house by 2 feet or more, because you are not removing the water and it can build up well above the floor level. - That can create a lot of pressure to force water inward.

I would take a close look at your pump system and try to make it more reliable.

I would also take a close look at the exterior of your home, especially because it is new. There is usually settlement of the backfill all around a foundation that will collect water instead of shedding if away. Make sure you have long downspout extensions (8-10') and that the surface water drains away.
This is very good advice. Long downspout extensions or buried downspot drains will make a lot of difference. The grade around your house should have no less than 6" of fall in the first 10' from your foundation, which will encourage surface rainwater to move out and away instead of soaking in.

Two sump pumps isn't a bad idea either!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #4

Leaky foundation

Thanks for the advice guys. As far as water goes... the sump pump itself is attached to a 4" flex hose that drains about 40 feet from the house. I checked outside around the areas that were leaking inside and there was no pooling of water etc... In fact it was pretty darn dry. So this water was coming from the water table undeground. If it's not uncommon for the water to seep in with the pump out of commission then that's good enough for me. I was just a little worried that I may have a cracked or otherwise defective foundation...
Old 04-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #5

Leaky foundation

Your foundation probably isn't watertight. In a perfect world it would be, but fact is that concrete cracks...ALL concrete. Some cracks get big, some cracks aren't even visible. The bituminous spray dampproofing on the outside of the foundation (underground) will keep most of the water from leeching in. A little water wouldn't concern me considering your pump was down.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:07 PM   #6

Leaky foundation

Here's a picture of the water... I'm not sure if you would consider this a serious leak... This is the first time I've ever had to deal with something like this.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:09 AM   #7
ICF Construction

Leaky foundation

Yes, that is a serious leak, it needs attention.

Pull back the vapour barrier and insulations, see if you can locate the problem area, if poured wall check the tie connections for leaks, also look for cracks, if CMU...good luck, usually difficult to pin point.

The best thing to do is replace the sump pump and makes sure it runs and gets the water away, if there is still intrusion grading is not the issue, get ready to dig and find the problem, re-waterproof and drain board.

p.s. Move the golf clubs before you ruin them
Old 04-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #8

Leaky foundation

It just doesn't give me all that much cause for concern. If your pump was functioning and it was still happening, it would. I would get a functional pump and saturate the area with a garden hose for a couple hours. Pull back the insulation and watch for water.

Water will take the path of least resistance. Typically, that isn't through a very tiny crack. The drain system and sump pump relieve the pressure that would otherwise force water to find its way inside.

After you pull back the insulation, look for the crack. For most cracks, you can have a foundation repair company inject epoxy into the crack under high pressure, which will fix it better than it was in the first place.