DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Leaky Basement

Tags
basement leak
2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jack45870 
#1 ·
Hi,

We are having water come into our basement even after small amounts of rain (like 10mm plus) and have tried everything. Interestingly, water doesnt come in right away but after a couple of hours of raining.

Initially we called a waterproofing guy who dug all around the house, sealed any hairline cracks in our concrete with some special tar, and then put the plastic coating all around the property. Water still came in.

Then we got all basement windows sealed and installed new window wells. Water still came in.

Now we got the roof replaced, and water is still coming in.

I am stumped. Any help?

#2 ·
Rain gutters?
Grade slopping away from the foundation?
No mulch or flower beds up again the foundation.
They did all that work and did not install a French drain at the same time?

#6 · (Edited)
do you have a sump pump ? why didn't you post where you're located - that often aids responders,,, how does the guarantee for the ' waterproofing guy ' read ? where is the water entering [ besides just in the basement ] ? does water leak from a wall ? does it come up thru the floor ? do you even have a floor ? what was used to build the basement walls ? 10mm is what - depth of the leaking water in your basement ? i agree 3/8" of water is more than most experience as basements are supposed to be dry no matter how much rain falls.

than again, if that were ALWAYS true, i couldn't afford the bigger boat or the vacation home,,, let's start from the beginning & see IF we can walk you thru the logical steps - beginning w/some pictures

#7 ·
Water can travel from roof down and through any defect, wrong flashing, gaps, etc. Your goffers and chipmunks dig out channels as well. Change the slope and plug gaps anyway you can. My corners were leaky as well. Slope was definitely a problem, but also fence post, gap in the side walk and animals holes. I covered the original masonary front step with added porch and wood stairs. Before the addition, I covered the original step as I would with a roof, so the water drains away from the foundation.

#8 ·
in my pro experience, once water begins to leak, it continues UNLESS the water's removed OR the wtr's entrance is sealed,,, hopefully what you did will work,,, being pro's, we can't take the chance so we either waterproof OR water manage,,, got 1 corner of my house that leaks - not much but i know its wet,,, covering up the area outside won't do dick to seal it as the leaky spot will still be there,,, we're selling in 2 yrs so i'll repair it before listing it.

in the op's case, it doesn't sound as if a bodacious big umbrella would help much

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.