Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Leaky basement

My basement is leaking on one wall. I digged the dirt up about 2' deep and a foot wide along the wall (maybe 6-7 feet)and put some asphalt based roof cement and tar paper over it. It seems like it worked except that I have maybe 4-5 inches of hole right under the basement window where I need to get a bucket of dirt and fill up. Because now that's where it's leaking from. Should I seal it from inside? It's poured concerete walls. I think stopping the water from outside before it touches the walls would be better but am I wrong? I think I will rent tractor with a scoop and dig it up maybe 5-6 feet and seal the wall from outside, then put tar paper along the wall again. What do you all think? I've found products where it's claimed that it stops the leaks from inside.

Ideas? Opinions?

Korkmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Leaky basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkmaz View Post
My basement is leaking on one wall. I digged the dirt up about 2' deep and a foot wide along the wall (maybe 6-7 feet)and put some asphalt based roof cement and tar paper over it. It seems like it worked except that I have maybe 4-5 inches of hole right under the basement window where I need to get a bucket of dirt and fill up. Because now that's where it's leaking from. Should I seal it from inside? It's poured concerete walls. I think stopping the water from outside before it touches the walls would be better but am I wrong? I think I will rent tractor with a scoop and dig it up maybe 5-6 feet and seal the wall from outside, then put tar paper along the wall again. What do you all think? I've found products where it's claimed that it stops the leaks from inside.

Ideas? Opinions?
Your mindset on sealing it from the outside is certainly correct. A little more work, but it's a better long term solution. There are professional epoxies that can be injected from the inside, but it's a little too complicated for DIY IMO.

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #3

Leaky basement

c'mon ricky - wake up,,, NOTHING stops water from penetrating ANY wall UNLESS its applied on the positive ( outside ) wall,,, sanyuthing on the inside might, for a while, stop the penetrating water from showing up where anyone can actually SEE it,,, this shouldn't be a case of out of sight, out of mind but that's just my hfo

rick, if you're doing this work professionally, get ready to hear from customers soon & have an alternate biz name reserved,,, your hack work won't last

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itsreallyconc For This Useful Post:
coderguy (06-24-2011)