Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Leaking Window Help

I noticed a little bit of discoloration on the right hand side of the window sill and a little on the wall so I ripped the window sill out. I discovered the lower 2x4 was pretty damp and discolored on the right hand side. It appears the window has cracks in the corners (arrows) and the crack on the right (the leaking side) is a little more substantial. My first question is how would the water be coming in? It doesnít seem like this would be a siding/flashing issue. It seems that it would have to makes its way from the actual moving window down through the frame and inside. My second question is... If this is in fact where the water is coming in; is there any hope of repairing this. I canít really afford to replace the window.

dkylep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Leaking Window Help

Is it leaking at the bottom of the sash or the bottom of the frame?? If the sash, make sure the drain holes on the outside are clear, and weatherstripping is in place. If the bottom of the frame, I would suspect a flashing/installation problem. Is this a fairly new installation???

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:40 AM   #3

Leaking Window Help

It appears to me that it is leaking through the bottom of the frame. But after seeing the the crack in the frame I wasn't sure if it was leaking under the sash through the frame. Of course it's 10 degrees outside so it may be a few days before I can test it. It is a pretty new installation. The house is about 4 years old.
I'm just not sure how water would get into the frame and if the crack is repairable.

thanks
Old 12-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #4

Leaking Window Help

I have seen cracks where the bottom/side frames meet, poor weld. Caulk will usually fix that. Not silicone, it does not stick to vinyl well.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #5

Leaking Window Help

You don't need a new window, you need to have this one installed correctly. And if this was installed correctly, it's likely they were all installed incorrectly. The others might be leaking slightly so you don't see it from the inside.
Slathering caulk on the exterior will only be a temporary solution to get you through the winter. When the weather gets so you can work outside, open the area around the window, replace the bad OSB sheathing and install the window using the correct methodology.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
Windowpartsguy

Leaking Window Help

It certainly might be the install, but based on what we are seeing - it's just as likely some bozo dropped it, making a break at the (weak) weld.

Who knows? Maybe the whole fin was sheared off in the process or it could just be a series of cracks on the exterior. As said before, caulking the inside is almost useless, you will have to attack it from the exterior.

My past experience has shown that a liquid weld is far better than either caulk or silicone, but if you have chunks taken out of it none of our suggestions will work.
Macattac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #7

Leaking Window Help

Liquid Weld? Is that the epoxy made by J-B Weld? I hadn't thought about using that.

I didn't think about somebody dropping window, but considering both corners are cracked that's a good possibility.

My thought with 'caulking' the crack on the inside was that the water would be able to escape through the exterior weeping holes. But I guess stopping the water from getting in is the best way to attack it.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Leaking Window Help

Check your weep holes to make sure they are not clogged.