Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2007, 10:44 AM   #1

Share |
Leaking Wall, even with Siding

Hello,

I bought a house with an installed siding on the backside. Everytime when it rains, the inner wall gets all wet. It is especially visible now when all sheetrock has been removed during renovation. Part of the problem, I think, has to do with the gutter, but what really surprises me is that the wet spots are on the first and ground floors (the second floor wall is dry).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to seal the siding in order to fix this problem? The siding was put directly on the naked brick. Should I be putting some insulating material on the brick underneath the siding?

Thanks,
Art2670

art2670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:58 AM   #2

You need to figure out why the water is getting in. The brick should be keeping the water out. Why somone would put siding over brick is another question. Siding can get water behind it due to poor flashing details around windows and doors. It can also let water in if it is inundated by a gutter overflowing above it.
You need to correct the flashing details that's allowing the water in. Insulation at this time will just trap the water against the surfaces. Clean the gutters and cover them to reduce periodic cleaning.
Did anyone tell you why the brick was covered with siding?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:43 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

I would bet on poor flashing around the windows. - This is one of the safest bets to make since such a high percentage of window installation and window flashing is bad.

the wall may have leak before the siding was put on and that could be a feeble attempt to correct a very basic problem around the windows.

Siding should not be sealed!!!!
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #4

I have no idea why the brick was covered with siding. This is an attached house which is 70 years old. I guess it was a quick and cheap attempt to prevent the wall from leaking, as I see that five other houses on the same block have the same siding.

Thanks,
art2670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Seen this before: Check your roof too.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote