Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2010, 11:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

leaking pwf basement add on

hi i have a pwf basement add on that is connected to the original cement basement.The date stamping on the pwf is from 1986. I recently stripped everything and have found it to be leaking from the bottom of the walls and the windows. the windows are no big deal as they need replaced anyways due to age ,etc.I am however having a hard time finding someone to help me with the leaking problem.i had basement systems of calgary alberta come out and give me a quote it was fo 11000 for a interior weeping system and there cactus board that goes on the walls.After doing some reading about this i have learned that its a great solution but it does not solve the problem of leaking.The guy figured my footing was 3 (2 x 6's) thick.He also said it seems to be very well built and supported and figures the leakage is coming in from where the footings and concrete pad meet.The soil is pretty much all clay as we are in southern alberta. There is an existing sump pump that runs well.I guess i am looking for some advice on products i can use to solve the problem from the outside cause if im going to be spending 11000 to not even fix a problem i would like to do it the right way. I have seen on mike holmes where they do a layer of tar then mesh then more tar and then this dimple mat (some sort of rubber mattin). However i dont know if this method can be used on pwf ?and do u also have any suggestions on who i should contact about this as most basements around here are concrete and all they do is spray a layer of tar and lay a weeping tile.

hogie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,174

leaking pwf basement add on

pwf = permanent wood foundation ? ? ? ouch but that's another issue for now ! ! !

only ones i've seen have been installed on bedding stone which, theoretically, provides drainage from water which penetrates disturbed soil surrounding your fnd walls,,, evidently that stone's ' silted up ' & doesn't allow proper drainage/discharge.

the ' layer of tar ' you see on most of the other bsmts is usually an asphalt/wtr emulsion avail in 5gal cans from an apron store,,, more rare is the spray'd liquid asphalt/rubber/polymers stuff such as tremco,,, yours sounds like asphaltic roofing cement, fiber reinforced or not.

we use 1"- stone, miradrain, soil filter cloth, 4" ads corrugated hdpe pipe, & exterior sumps/pumps if rqd by individual job site conditions.

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote