Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #1

Share |

leaking patio door

I have a french door style patio door it has a fake door on one side. the seal on the door that opens leaks. it is the weather side of the house and we get alot on wind driven rain. Normal rain the door is fine but with the wind it leaks every time. I have water tested the door with a hose and when the hose sprays along the seal the water shoots into the house. What should i do?

jpg274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

leaking patio door

replace the seal?

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:42 AM   #3

leaking patio door

Try putting someone inside the door, and pull it closed tightly. Does the door seem to pull in slightly? Even 1/16th of an inch? If it does, have them hold the door in that position while you do the hose test. If that fixes the leak, then you can buy an adjustable door strike, and install it to hold the door closed more tightly. That will fix a jamb leak. If the sill is leaking, then there should be a plastic or wood strip that will pry out/unscrew. If you see 4 or 5 Very large headed phillips screws under that strip, then the sill is adjustable. Turn them counter-clockwise half turns at a time, until the sill no longer leaks.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote