Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #1

Share |

Leaking gable vent

I have a gable vent on the south-westish side of my house and it takes the full brunt of just about every storm that comes through. usually it isn't bad but over the last year we have had some wicked weather with a lot of wind and it is blowing water through the slats which is then hitting the air duct below and telegraphing through the ceiling. Is there anything I can do to maintain the ventilation but help shore up the water infiltration?

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #2

Leaking gable vent

is it an old wood or metal?the right way is to install a pan to catch any water that gets thru the vent and direct it to the outside

to do this you would need to remove it and then reinstall it

the newer vinyl gable vents are less prone to leak but it can still happen

do you need the gable vent anymore?if you had a new roof installed you may have a ridge vent in which case you can eliminate the gable vent...according to most

Last edited by Tom Struble; 07-06-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #3

Leaking gable vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
is it an old wood or metal?the right way is to install a pan to catch any water that gets thru the vent and direct it to the outside

to do this you would need to remove it and then reinstall it

the newer vinyl gable vents are less prone to leak but it can still happen

do you need the gable vent anymore?if you had a new roof installed you may have a ridge vent in which case you can eliminate the gable vent...according to most
I have a ridge vent but the attic still gets stupidly hot (100+ temps don't help.) The gable is fairly large so having the detail on it helps break it up. I'll look into a pan and reflashing it however. I believe the vent is wood but I'm not 100% certain - it's been a while since I've been up there and I can't get to it from the exterior due to lack of a tall ladder.

If I don't need it I could add a pan and a vapor barrier that drains into the pan to prevent any wind driven rain couldn't I? The storms that have caused the most issues that I've seen have had 50+ mph winds =/ A normal rain doesn't seem to affect it.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #4

Leaking gable vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
I have a ridge vent but the attic still gets stupidly hot (100+ temps don't help.) The gable is fairly large so having the detail on it helps break it up. I'll look into a pan and reflashing it however. I believe the vent is wood but I'm not 100% certain - it's been a while since I've been up there and I can't get to it from the exterior due to lack of a tall ladder.

If I don't need it I could add a pan and a vapor barrier that drains into the pan to prevent any wind driven rain couldn't I? The storms that have caused the most issues that I've seen have had 50+ mph winds =/ A normal rain doesn't seem to affect it.
Your gable vents maybe impacting the effectiveness of your attic ventilation. If the ridge vent is able to draw enough air through the gable vents, then it won't draw through the soffits.

If you are concerned about looks, you can get dummy gable vents or seal the existing vents from the inside.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #5

Leaking gable vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosebarry View Post
Your gable vents maybe impacting the effectiveness of your attic ventilation. If the ridge vent is able to draw enough air through the gable vents, then it won't draw through the soffits.

If you are concerned about looks, you can get dummy gable vents or seal the existing vents from the inside.
Thanks. I didn't think about that. Once it's not an oven in the attic I'll go up and take a look at everything.