Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Leaking deck flashing questions....help!

I am in the midst of a basement finishing project and have found what I suspect is a deck flashing leak on the first floor deck [walkout basement....so the deck is 8' high]....the exterior plywood sheathing behind the existing insulation is soaked. Fortunately, the insulation is ok and the plywood, while wet, is otherwise in good shape. Siding is vinyl....so I suspect it drys out from time to time.

Normally, I would just pull up the deck board and look for a tear or something....but the deck is t&g composite and in this spot runs perpendicular to the house.

We are in northern NH and the deck gets a significant amount of water off of the roof and I suspect that if this were not the case I would be ok.

I have contemplated gutters as an indirect solution to the issue....any potentially easy fixes without cutting out t&g decking?

The deck wraps around a corner in the area and I have noticed that the flahing just overlaps here without being sealed...but I also see no water there....

...frankly, I am a bit dumbfounded about an easy fix here??????

Oxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

you could try to install more metal flashing ontop of the decking and under the vinyl siding.Maybe go on to the decking 3'' or so and 8'' or so up behind the siding and any paper that may be there

but you are right trying to water proof after the fact is alittle sketchy

gutter for sure

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #3

The lack of a gutter is definitely exacerbating the issue, but you have an elementry lack of proper flashing. Easy fix would only be temporary. Put something in front of the wall to keep water from hitting it. Dry out the sheathing from inside as well as possible.
Install gutters when you can.
Redo the deck flashing when weather permits.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #4

I spent some time looking at things and noticed that for about 2 feet up the vinyl siding is frozen from water coming off of the 2nd floor roof and splashing back up.....could this be the issue....splashing up and somehow getting in behind the siding...then running down behind the flashing to soak the sheathing below the deck . I don't quite know how that would happen....but the flashing itself just plain looks right....that is what has me confused.
I guess it has been like this for a few years, so the rest of this winter won't kill me....trying to get anyone around here to do gutters in the winter is not working so well!
Oxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #5

How is the deck attached to the house? If it is just lagged or nailed then you might be able to separate it from the house enough to check the sheeting behind it and to slide either additional flashing or a vapor barrior behind it. Just be careful not to loosten too much at a time or you might have your deck sag down and then you will have to jack it back up into place. I have done this method in the past and it worked with good results. I would recommend putting some ice and water between the deck and the house. I would run the ice and water up at least a foot or two above the deck. Once you have done that you can reattach the deck. Good luck.
RobQuillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymoron View Post
I spent some time looking at things and noticed that for about 2 feet up the vinyl siding is frozen from water coming off of the 2nd floor roof and splashing back up.....could this be the issue....splashing up and somehow getting in behind the siding...then running down behind the flashing to soak the sheathing below the deck . I don't quite know how that would happen....but the flashing itself just plain looks right....that is what has me confused.
I guess it has been like this for a few years, so the rest of this winter won't kill me....trying to get anyone around here to do gutters in the winter is not working so well!
Two feet up the wall is a little high for splash back. And why would it freeze on the wall? If it was so cold the water freezes, how does it melt off the roof?
Are there any water pipes in the wall in that area or above it? Frozen water on an exterior wall makes me think, leaking pipe.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #7

id pull the first 1 or 2 courses of siding off ,it could be the water you see getting behind the vertical leg of the flashing,it may be ontop of the underlayment and not behind it like it should be,try this first

is there a door where it seems the wettest?

Last edited by Tom Struble; 01-03-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote