DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Leaking Basement - Concrete

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  harleysilo 
#1 ·
I have a 25-30 year old house that I just noticed has water coming into the basement. What I see happening is that the rain collects at a corner of the house on the outside where there is a poured concrete sidewalk up against the side of the house. I think because of the lowspot the water collects enough that it enevitabily flows over the foundation wall and into the basement. When I look in the basement you can see the water come in from a section about 4 feet wide, so it does not look like just a single crack, but more like I say, coming over the foundation wall.

My question is, what can I do to fix this?
Can I simply pour concrete over the existing sidewalk to re-grade it so that the water does not collect there?
Do I need to seal off the seam between the house and foundation?

Any ideas or help would be great........

Dave

#2 ·
working from outside should be the first way to go... as even it does not completely solve the problem, it should at least reduce the issue...
most threads here suggest to do somthing from outside first whenever there is a basement leak, and fixing inside only when fixing outside is not working...

#3 ·
Post picture of the outside and inside so we can see what you are talking about.

Have you gone into the basement during a heavy storm and watched to see exactly where the water is coming in?

Could you install a drain in between the house and side walk, and then run the discharge away from the house (I realize you might have to dig under the 3 or 4ft sidewalk)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.