Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2005, 08:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

leaking basement

My sidewalk abutts and slopes toward the house foundation. Evidence of patching cracks between foundation and walk are present. I estimate the negative slope to be around 3 inches on this 2 ft. sidewalk. I'm looking for a permanent DIY fix. I prefer not to remove and replace the existing walk. Is mud jacking a possible DIY project? Is adding concrete on top of the existing surface an option? Which of the two options is better in terms of cost and longevity? The length of the walk is approx. 35'. Thanks for the input.
jd

jdwdwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

leaking basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwdwd
My sidewalk abutts and slopes toward the house foundation. I estimate the negative slope to be around 3 inches on this 2 ft. sidewalk.
Are you saying that the side against the house is 3" lower than the side away from the house?

Quote:
I'm looking for a permanent DIY fix. I prefer not to remove and replace the existing walk.
If I understand what you've described, the only permanent fix involves removing and replacing the sidewalk.
Quote:
Is mud jacking a possible DIY project?
No
Quote:
Is adding concrete on top of the existing surface an option?
In the abscence of adressing what it is that's causing the sidewalk to reside, there is no good option. Where do you live?
Quote:
The length of the walk is approx. 35'. Thanks for the input.
jd
A 35 x 2 x 4" sidewalk only requires about $250 worth of concrete. If it was me I'd: 1.) remove the old sidewalk 2.) compact the ground against the house and correct any drainage problems 3.) pour a new sidewalk

pipeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

leaking basement

Pipeguy,
Thanks for your input. Yes, the side next to the house is approx. 3 inches lower. The house is about 50 years old and is located in the city of St. louis, Mo. I believe this situation is a result of settling. It appears to have stopped.
OK, I'll remove the old sidewalk, backfill as needed and pour a new walk.
Should the backfill material be soil with high clay content or can I use stone or something else? Should I attach the new pour to the existing foundation with rebar or wire mesh or should I not attach it to the house? Does it make any difference if the foundation is concrete block or poured? Any other thoughts?
Thanks
jd
jdwdwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
PRO

Rewards Points: 75

leaking basement

jdwdwd, I'm not to far from you. Give me some more input, maybe even a pic, and I'll shoot you a figure to drive over for the repair. Maybe two days work absolute tops.

Bob
Glasshousebltr is offline   Reply With Quote