Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Leak into basement at bottom of Door

I stripped off the siding today. Looks my leak is under an exterior door. Top of door looks fine and is sealed nicely. Is there flashing or something missing at the bottom causing my problem. I pulled out the side J-trim on the bottom and there isn't any staining except the bottom few inches. Help! I need to put my house back together.

I have a leak into the basment At the rim joist under the door.

deepstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Was there a deck or porch of some kind up against the siding or rim joist under the door? Was there a possibility of water from the deck's surface standing against the house or getting in at the threshold?

Are the sides of the brickmold or the jamb soft at the very bottom? If so, rain and snow that hits the threshold may be getting through. Some preventative caulking might help. A storm door might help this. You could also install some adhesive ice dam barrier like they use on roofs and in some flashing applications.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:34 AM   #3

Yes there was a small deck almost up against the siding under the door.

Yes, water from the deck's surface standing against the house or getting in at the threshold would be a possibility especially with melting snow. Wind could also blow rain in that direction.

Yes the brickmold is starting to get soft at the very bottom?

I'd rather not install a storm door but will if some caulking and adhesive ice and snow barrier doesn't work. Just have to wait for it to stop raining now.

Will the adesive barrier stick well enough to the Aluminum threshold or shuld I just use it on the wall of the house and then caulk between it and the threshold?

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

If the door was pan flashed this problem would not of happened, the door jambs could still face rot, but the rot to the subfloor and water getting into the basement would of been avoided.
was the siding starter strip applied over the house wrap as should of been? did the siding run under the door threshold which is not norm. ther should of been a wooden kick plate under the door.
to fix the problem the door needs to be removed, subfloor repaired and any other damage replaced. bend up some alum, or from what i,m reading here on the post you can get pre-bent door pans from some lumber yards, here on the island i never saw them pre-bent we have always bent our own. set the pan install some grace shield around the door sides on the sheathing over the tyvek and down over the sides of the pan. then reinstall your door. god luck bob

Last edited by buletbob; 08-17-2008 at 08:10 AM.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #5

The siding starter strip was not applied over the house wrap. The wrap was only falling into place on top of the strip. The wrap was stapled to the house but not really well.

The siding did run under the door threshold.

No wooden kick plate under the door.

I know removing the door and installing flashing is proabably the best solution if I had lots of time but shouldn't the ice membrane and chaulking work without removing the door?
Old 08-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstuff View Post
The siding starter strip was not applied over the house wrap. The wrap was only falling into place on top of the strip. The wrap was stapled to the house but not really well.

The siding did run under the door threshold.

No wooden kick plate under the door.

I know removing the door and installing flashing is probably the best solution if I had lots of time but shouldn't the ice membrane and chalking work without removing the door?
It will work for a short time. but the same thing is going to happen, that is what we call a bandage repair. The problem is with the door manufacturers they state all that's needed is setting the door down into caulking, which is not the correct way, as you can see. If the door was properly pan flashed with the flashing coming down to just below the sill plate and then having a kick plate installed and then your landing 6"-8" below the threshold you would of been fine, This is the one reason why I talk people out of decks or stoops at the same level as the house floor. snow and wind driven rain hammers the bottom of the door. you open the door snow comes fallen into the house. it does not make sense keeping the heights the same unless its a handicap ramp. BOB
Old 08-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #7

Question

OK,
So I did a test with a glass of water and the door step is leaking where the wood meets the aluminum. In the picture the plastic piece has been removed and screw driver is pointing a aluminum/wood joint. Can this be sealed or do I need a new door?

Thanks fo all your help so far.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstuff View Post
OK,
So I did a test with a glass of water and the door step is leaking where the wood meets the aluminum. In the picture the plastic piece has been removed and screw driver is pointing a aluminum/wood joint. Can this be sealed or do I need a new door?

Thanks fo all your help so far.

you can scape it prime it and paint then caulk, but its just a bandage repair. check and make sure the bottom of the door weather stripping is not cut or nicked. if it happens again remove the door and pan flash. GOOD LUCK BOB.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

I agree, removing the door and installing some sort of flashing would be best. You could also possibly remove just the threshold and wrap ice & water shield over the sufloor and down the rim to the foundation(under teh starter strip). Then just need a replacement threshold. Cut it so it's tight and caulk per manuf. specs to the jamb.

dhag is offline   Reply With Quote