Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leak between wall and floor.

I just found a leak between the cement wall and cement floor. I also noticed some very small bugs coming through the gap. The gap in about 0.60". And in the same area there is a white fuzzy substance on the wall that looks wet. What is a good sealer or repair that I can do?

catman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Please be more specific as to the location of the leak. Is this a below-grade basement floor? Is the gap between the basement slab and the concrete foundation wall, or a crack in one or the other?

It it is a concrete crack, the best option will be to inject the crack with special epoxy to seal it as well as make a strong repair. Simpson is one manufacturer, and they have a few products that vary in application.
http://www.simpsonanchors.com/catalo...crack_pac.html

If the gap is new or is still growing, you need to have the foundation looked at. This might be the first symptom of a bigger problem.

As far as the bugs go, just spray bug killer in the crack.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #3

It is a below grade basement. I built this house in '84'. I seen this leak one other time. We have a heavy rain. The gap is between the floor slab and the wall. Where the white stuff is there is no crack that is visiable. I am thinking it is some kind of mold.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

The white stuff is either mold or efflorescence. To be safe, assume it is mold. It can be cleaned with a bleach solution or with a mold-cleaning chemical...I can't think of the brand name I've seen.

Do you have a sump pit/pump? If you don't, you should look into installing one.

Does the crack open and close based on water or seasonal conditions, or has it stayed fairly static? If it hasn't moved, I'd say that epoxy is the way to go. If it is moving you must stop the movement first. I don't think anything will successfully keep the water back except for properly applied foundation epoxy.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #5

Would you use the same epoxy in the cracks? What about this paint they say will penatrate the cement would it work on the rest of the wall? The gap has never changed. And before I forget thanks you for all of your info.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Rewards Points: 250

Did you put a perimeter drain in?
Does it tie to a sump hole?
Did this fail?

The hydrostatic pressure is pushing water around the footer and up the gap between the poured wall and the slab. Sealing this will keep the water out for a while but doesnt fix the cause. I am not a concrete expert but I would not use epoxy here as some movement does occur and it could crack. I would use a good quality flexible silicone. If the conditions stay the same, eventually water will wick through the entire slab you'll see it turning darker gray. Once it is saturated water can go through it. Although with the record rains in spots this year this may never be a problem again.

best of luck, pray for sun!

crecore is offline   Reply With Quote