Leak In Basement Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
Weekend Warrior

Rewards Points: 25

Leak in Basement Wall

Grout that was used to seal around a 6" PVC sanitary sewer drain pipe exiting through my poured concrete basement foundation wall failed, resulting in a flooded basement. It's a hung sewer and the drain pipe exits about 2 feet above the floor slab. Water was pouring through the joint between the pipe and grout during a heavy rain.

Any suggestions on how to go about repairing it?

Advertisement

H2O Engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Leak in Basement Wall

Dig it up and get any local concrete supply place to sell you some goo. Clean the blocks thoroughly before applying. Make sure you take care of ground drainage (1/4" to 1"/foot slope away from house), gutter down spouts well away from house and not leaking, etc, before you call it done.

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:29 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Leak in Basement Wall

That means that you have a problem with your gutters, downspouts, and slope around the foundation. As for repairing, dig up the ground, seal with the proper material, coat the repair with black tar, and fill back in. Fix the gutters and downspouts, along with slope, so that water does not pool along the foundation. Go inside, and repair the inside portion where the pvc exits.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
Weekend Warrior

Leak in Basement Wall

Not the answers I wanted to hear, but I agree that it would be the right way to fix it. There are no downspouts in the vicinity of the leak, but there is a concrete paver (set in stone dust) patio directly outside. It is relatively flat, but I hadn't noticed any standing water. The water table is high (very active sump pump) and the rain was nearly a 100-year storm.

I would need to carefully hand-excavate 1.5 cubic yards of soil to access the leak from outside of the house. The hole will probably be 6'-deep x 3'-wide x 2' out from the house. It's a clayey cohesive soil. The water service and sewer enter the house within one foot of each other, so easy does it.

What precautions would I need to take when digging a hole this deep next to the foundation? When backfilling, I assume the soil should be compacted in 6" lifts?

Last edited by H2O Engr; 09-09-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Weekend Warrior

Leak in Basement Wall

I dug and uncovered the water service and sanitary drain pipe and hosed off all around them. The PVC pipe was bedded in gravel all the way up to the foundation, providing a path of least resistance for groundwater to reach the foundation at the pipe. The grout at the bottom of the pipe is crumbly, so that was probably the entrance point for the water. I will apply a layer of rubberized roofing cement to the pipes and then backfill around them with a couple bags of bentonite clay.

1. What can I use to seal the annular space between the 5/8" copper water service and its 1-1/4" PVC sleeve? Spray foam, roofing cement, bentonite?
  2. When backfilling with bentonite, should I just loosely drop it in or should it be packed/compacted?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 57

Leak in Basement Wall

How about hydraulic cement? Tommy demonstrated it in a episode of this old house.

Advertisement

nateo is offline   Reply With Quote