LCD Mount And Built In Cabinet - Need Advice/Ideas - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

LCD Mount and built in cabinet - Need Advice/Ideas

So I am looking to mount a 40" LCD and build a small built-in cabinet for components on the same wall. Mounting the LCD shouldn't be a problem, my main question is how to construct the built in.

I'm a new home owner and a novice when it comes to stuff like this so go easy! Below are a few pictures to give you an idea of the room, the wall I plan on mounting the TV on (along with installing the built in), and the last is what's behind the wall. The measurement in the 2nd picture shows the distance between the vent and the trim piece below.

The main concern I have is what material to use the for the built in cabinet and also how I would support it as it won't be ground level.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. Feel free do make any changes to the pics.

Lynch

Advertisement

Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #2

Wtf? What happened to DIY Zero Energy's reply to my post?

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch View Post
He was spamming the board with links & was banned
When that happens with a new user all posts are automatically removed
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch View Post
The display of your house is very tasteful, (understated style all around). I have another question; If you joined this forum in April, why do you have only 2 posts. I joined in May. I'm up in the hi' 400s. First thing I do when I get off work, is look at the posts & e-mails on this forum.
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #5

There are several ways that you can attach your cabinet. The first thing that you will want to do is to install blocking behind where the cabinet will be mounted. It appears that you have partial blocking there but you will want to install the rest.

Next you will want to build your cabinet. Judging by the interior of your house you could get away with a good clean pine wood I would think. It looks like you are planning on making it out of 3/4 inch thick material. You can make the cabinet with a back panel and then mount it by screwing through the back pane into the blocking behind the drywall, or you can also do a dowel mount system.

To so the dowel mount system you will want to drill a couple of holes in the back of the shelves and top and bottom. You will want to drill them pretty deep. Once you have them you will want to drill holes through the blocking in the wall that line up with the holes in the cabinet. Once you have this done you can run dowels through the holes in the blocking and into the cabinet. If you have a dowel that is a tight fit in the holes you just need to put a dab of glue on the dowe and it should hold fine. This technique is used when you don't want to have a back on the cabinet and you don't want to be able to see the anchors.
RobQuillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
He was spamming the board with links & was banned
When that happens with a new user all posts are automatically removed

Ah, ok thanks for the info. Although, he had some good info and it's ashame the post was removed..too bad I didn't have time to write it down. Oh well.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
The display of your house is very tasteful, (understated style all around). I have another question; If you joined this forum in April, why do you have only 2 posts. I joined in May. I'm up in the hi' 400s. First thing I do when I get off work, is look at the posts & e-mails on this forum.
Thanks Spark plug, appreciate the comment. Your right, I haven't been very active on the board since I joined in April. The main reason being, as a new homeowner and new to DIY projects, I've been using the board as a learning tool. Up until now I've been lurking mostly just taking in as much information as I can, not really contributing much because I'm a novice. It wasn't until now (with this project) where I decided to post for ideas.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobQuillin View Post
There are several ways that you can attach your cabinet. The first thing that you will want to do is to install blocking behind where the cabinet will be mounted. It appears that you have partial blocking there but you will want to install the rest.

Next you will want to build your cabinet. Judging by the interior of your house you could get away with a good clean pine wood I would think. It looks like you are planning on making it out of 3/4 inch thick material. You can make the cabinet with a back panel and then mount it by screwing through the back pane into the blocking behind the drywall, or you can also do a dowel mount system.

To so the dowel mount system you will want to drill a couple of holes in the back of the shelves and top and bottom. You will want to drill them pretty deep. Once you have them you will want to drill holes through the blocking in the wall that line up with the holes in the cabinet. Once you have this done you can run dowels through the holes in the blocking and into the cabinet. If you have a dowel that is a tight fit in the holes you just need to put a dab of glue on the dowe and it should hold fine. This technique is used when you don't want to have a back on the cabinet and you don't want to be able to see the anchors.

Thanks Rob for replying. Interesting option with dowel mount system..hadn't crossed my mind. Going through your post I'm still trying to get a clear idea on how it would work, but I'll take it into consideration.

Thanks again!
Old 11-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #9

Basically the dowels run through the blocking and through the wall and into the holes drilled into the back of the shelves. This way the dowels are glued into the blocking and with a snug fit of the dowels into the holes it makes it so the cabinet won't slide down the wall and if you drill the holes deep into the cabinet it makes it so that the cabinet can't fall forward too. It is used fairly often for a hidden anchoring system. I have also seen it done with threaded rods too but with only 3/4 in thick materials it would be harder to hide the washers and nuts. I hope that this makes it a little easier to understand.

Advertisement

RobQuillin is offline   Reply With Quote