Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Laundry room addition, roof line ?

I want to do a small addition off of the back of my house for a laundry room. It is a 1925 bungalow pier and beam construction. I'm a bit confused as to how to tie in where the new roof(gable) will connect with the exterior wall. I am thinking that I will cut the siding to the correct gable angle and of course match the additional rafters that will be installed, then attach a batten board to the once exterior wall studs and flash with a z flashing tucked under the siding. This will be roofed with metal.

I'm good with the new piers, foundation, floor, and wall framing. It's tying in the roof that is hanging me up. Any advice is welcomed.

I'm also thinking about a pitched flat roof, but I don't think this would effect how it ties in to existing exterior wall.

JRigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #2

I think ledger is the word I was looking for, not batten. The only thing perpendicular to this would be the ridge, it would be parallel to the the rafters.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Pitched flat roof?
Pictures, please?
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #4

I guess it's called a shed roof. That's what is there now. "pitched flat roof" that doesn't make much sense does it.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 34

Unless you run the rafters up onto the roof you have now, most likly it will leak.
Do not even think about attaching it to the fashia. The more slope the longer the roof will last, the more height you will have inside the room and more clearance for the doors to open.
Shingles need a bare min. or a 12-3 pitch and even then that would be pushing it. You would have to lay Storm and Ice shield and also lay them with less exposure to stop them from leaking.
This room is really going to have to have a real footing and block foundation for it to have any hope of not saging, sinking and leaking where the walls meet.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #6

I am planning on pouring 2'x2'x2' concrete footers at the corners adjacent to exterior wall, then building cinder block piers on top of the footers. Termite sheild on top of the pier, and a 4"x6 girt beam around the perimeter. 2"x6" floor joists, and 3/4" t+g subfloor. 2"x4" walls to a gable roof, with the same pitch as the gable roof on the main structure, just below it.

I will not tie into the fascia, but to the exterior wall below the eves of the main roof. If I tie into the main roof the addition will only go to the center of the main structure, therefore I would not have a gable on the addition, and I just don't think I would like the way that would look.

The roof will be metal, and no need to worry about ice down here. But it does need to be flashed correctly (probably my biggest concern, and lack of knowledge)

I know you can come off of an exterior wall with a gable, I'm just not sure exactly how it done.