Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

LasVegas Stucco problem ASAP! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! !! !! ! ! ! !

I am in need of a contractor in Lasvegas, NV that is experienced with fighting / negotiating with insurance companies, Namely Western Mutual.

I have a stucco issue that started because of the wind storms we have been having and now my homeowners insurance is being cancelled because my home is a hazard.

ANY INFO OR ADVICE IS MUCH appreciated!! ! ! ! !

bslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Sounds like you need a lawyer even before a contractor? I hate advising people to go the legal route until they have to but if you are at odds with your insurance company and they are unwilling to work with you as your house faces some level of condemnation? I cannot see that any contractor can help you until you put some things in place legally.

Just curious what kind of severe wind damage you had so severe your homeowner's insurance, which I assume was providing you coverage for such damage, canceled your policy because it has rendered your home a hazard. Stucco is, after all, an exterior surface material and is not structural.

Last edited by user1007; 05-02-2011 at 08:37 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

Guessing this is an EFIS problem? Google it, and find a lawyer. But, and as an attorney who handled these types of cases before I retired, you're probably up a creek.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Agreed. Is this damage widespread enough FEMA has any interest or presence?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:46 AM   #5

I've had a few friends come by and look and they say (my house was built in 1995), when the home was built they used too much sand in the mix which makes the base coat unreliable. with some investigative work i found that 5 years ago the prior owner had some quick fix done and hired a cheap cointractor to slap some stucco up where it had fallen off. Now, me, the new owner, 4 years later, the new stuff is falling off again and the original problem still remains. The more wind I get the more it falls off exposing the base coat and in some spots even the "chicken" wire

Whew...

Now I look in my policy and it states if any part of the home is in state of "collapse", poor workmanship and material misuse is covered. HMMMM?

Nothing stating wind coverage....

A friend says that a good lawyer or even a threat to the insurance co might get this covered just to make face or save money to just cover the claim opposed to fight it.

This sounds like a slippery slope and ive never been down this road or any other lkke it before

ANY AND ALL ADVICE IS WELCOMED !~
Old 05-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #6

LEAH FRANCES : Its not EFIS or synthetic.

This is a concrete mix of sorts. Gritty / sand (not my line of work)

SDSESTER : FEMA ? what can they do? We had 3 weeks of wind, strong enough gusts to rip the exterior layer off my house, I live in Lasvegas, NV not a costal city or anything. No disaster here. (if thats what you ment)

Tags
las vegas, lasvegas, stucco, wind storm