Laser Levels For Setting Up Square Layout? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Laser levels for setting up square layout?

Is it possible or do they make laser levels that aid in setting up square layouts for building? Like shoots perpendicular lines and shows exact layout for square?

Advertisement

MikeVila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,172

By definition a level is a device that is used to extend a line parallel to the surface of the earth, known as a level line. Many levels can be used to determine if a structure is plumb, since a plumb line is perpendicular to a level line, and many levels are set up so they can be "leveled" in either the horizontal or vertical plane.

What you are looking for is a type of device generically known as a transit. A transit typically is equipped with a graduated scale, and can be used to turn any desired angle. In your case, you want to turn a 90 degree angle. Some levels are equipped with both level capability and transit capability, I have such a level at home. The primary role is to run level lines, however it has a graduated scale that can be used to turn an angle. So the answer to your question is yes, you can turn a 90 degree angle if your level is equipped with a graduated scale like a transit is.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,612

Or do it the old fashioned way....tape measure. Measure from each oposite corner....when both are the same measurement....it's square.

I have a good 2' & 4' level.....but if I really want something plumb (perfectly vertical)....I use the old plumb bob.....it's about as accurate as you can get.

In the old days when you wanted to make sure a large structure was level...they used a clear hose full of water. You fill it full of water.....hold one end of the hose at one end of your structure...line the water level up with the vert edge.....then see where the other end of the hose water level shows up.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVila View Post
Is it possible or do they make laser levels that aid in setting up square layouts for building? Like shoots perpendicular lines and shows exact layout for square?
Whats ironic here is we've had the ability to make a square/right angel from a roman in the roman era

The Magic numbers are 3,4,5, or 6,8,10,
So 3 feet in one direction and 4 feet in the right angle direction from thoses twp points it should measure 5, Or use 6 by 8, equals 10 feet from thoses two points. Its all divisible

3,4,5, 6,8,10, on inches feet yards This will give a Perfect right/Square angel.
21boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

There are plenty of laser layout tools available--I have several that I use for tile layout--three lines--right -left and straight ahead--

When doing over head piping we used one that also shot a beam straight up as well--

Those tools speed up the layouts--
Old 06-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

The PLS4 is a good laser. Its self leveling, as most lasers are now. shoots perpendicular, solid lines, nearly over 180 degrees at 100, it also has a self leveling plumb laser.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Millertyme For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-02-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 512

In the last few years, I have become laser lazy. That is when you become so used to having the laser, you will refuse to use a regular level except in an emergency. My favorite uses for the laser are: wall bracing, basement wall plumbing, and checking for level on floors and foundations. I always keep a spare set of batteries to help maintain my laziness.
sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 348

Yes. They do make lazers that shoot right angles. Of course there is always the Pythagorean theorem. A squared plus B squared equals C squared.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #9

I know and am familiar with the basic ways and theory. Just curious as if to the use of lasers. Answered my questions and concerns. I might have to check into one. I do tiling also so that might be an added benefit. I'm not looking to spend $300 and up. Is there one that does it all for say under $200?

Thx. Mike
Old 06-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,032

check this out

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 348

Pacific laser Systems PLS180-TOOL Laser Line, Plumb, Level and Square with Bracket and Case. $269.99
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #12
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

Google 'Straightline"--Not sure if the spelling is correct--they make (or used to make?) an inexpensive layout laser---those are the ones I use for tile work--They have served me well and are now over 6 years old--
Old 06-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

the more expensive they are, usually just means they are accurate for longer distances. the 100-200 dollar variety are usually accurate to 30ft, which for most people is plenty of distance.

the more expensive commercial grade lasers can be accurate to 100 feet or more.
sevenlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,172

I picked up a combination laser level/transit for $75 at Home Depot one day, it was a discontinued model, I figured for $75 why not? It has worked beautifully, it shoots a dot or a line, can be used to align cabinets, project a plumb mark onto the ceiling, and will turn any angle accurate to about 1/2 a degree. I use it to check plumbness of walls when I do the odd forensic examination of a foundation thought to be out of alignment. It was invaluable building my deck, it will shoot at least 100 feet visible in daylight with the special red glasses that came with the unit. Plus it has a rotating laser capability which makes it useful for grading. You may be able to find a similar close out special, maybe check Harbor Freight or Northern Tool.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #15

That all is very helpful. I plan on getting a pool soon and will probably rent a Bobcat to level off an area. Probably like a 15 or 18'er. I assume this tool will be very helpful. I then want to build a large deck, pergola area and tie it in. I'm sure it will be worth the purchase.

Advertisement