Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #1

Share |

Larson Storm Door won't close

I just had an addition built with a new exterior door, the contractor is gone and the storm door has never closed. The handle strikes the exterior door jam, the knob for the deadbolt is so close to the door frame you can hardly turn it. and the dead bolt doesn't line up. I understand how to correct the dead bolt issue and strike plate, however how do you recess the doors hinge side to make it allow enough clearance for the handle to not strike the opposite door frame. I am ready to disassemble and start over. I have printed out the installation instructions and am ready to start, however I did not see any reference in trouble shooting regarding this problem.

Thanks,

Truly Annoyed

Old 08-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #2

I'd remove the door and start over. If you can remove the entire door and frame as an assembly just install some thin shims at the jamb side between the door and the jamb to guarantee clearance and re-attach it.

I installed one of those once and vowed that I'd never do it again.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply but wouldn't shims make the matter worse. It appears that I need the frame to be further away from handle
Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #4

No, TEMPORARY shims between the door and the door's frame. They'll separate the door and the frame a bit during attachment.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #5

Larson storm doors are known for their low cost and below standard cheap design & lack of durability. Do not by one. The main mechanical part of the door, the hinges, are made from aluminum, they can spring if opened too wide or if the wind catches it. The door will be rendered useless from that point forward, being unable to be closed. I have replaced dozens of larsons with virtually any brand other than larson. Do not buy them! Their designs are substandard and are not durable and their customer support has no commitment to quality either
Old 03-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #6

Double up your door facings on the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimherrick1 View Post
Larson storm doors are known for their low cost and below standard cheap design & lack of durability. Do not by one. The main mechanical part of the door, the hinges, are made from aluminum, they can spring if opened too wide or if the wind catches it. The door will be rendered useless from that point forward, being unable to be closed. I have replaced dozens of larsons with virtually any brand other than larson. Do not buy them! Their designs are substandard and are not durable and their customer support has no commitment to quality either
Most storm doors are aluminum. What kind of material are yours made from?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimherrick1 View Post
If the door flies open past 90 degrees when the wind catches it, then somebody didn't put on the safety chain. I have hung a lot of storm doors, both cheap ones and the fancy ones. When it comes to a price point, I didn't see one manufacturer being worse than the others. A cheap door is a cheap door. If installed correctly, however, they should provide reasonable service.
I find it strange that somebody's first post is to jump in and bad mouth a product instead of working on a solution. Not too good etiquette.

Annoyed,
It sounds like your contractor didn't do such a good install. Take the hinge side loose and see if you have room to move the door over some to get your clearance on the other side. Most new exterior doors that come with brickmold are sized to drop a storm door right into. Picture would help.
Mike Hawkins
Old 03-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
Mod

I’ve put in plenty of Larson’s and never had a issue with hardware clashing. Is the entry door swing in or out? If it’s a out swing them maybe I could see a problem. If the storm door frame is hung on the door trim that the siding buts into (as it should be) then I don’t see how hardware could interfere with each other, unless you have a out swing door then maybe. A picture would help.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #9

Original poster hasn't been back to the site in ~9 months
This was bumped by a One post wonder (kimherrick) who made the post & then left

I had 2 Larson doors at my last house & both worked great

Closed Thread