Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2008, 02:57 AM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

Larger hole in foundation

I need to increase the size of a hole in my foundation that is aprox 1.25 inch now to something closer to 2 inches. I have never dealt with a hole this large before. Can I get a bit this large for my hiltie and drill out the hole larger?

I've drilled many holes through 8 top 12 inches of concrete with the hilte, but never any larger than about 5/8, maybe 3/4. Also I have not had to make an existing hole larger before.

Any suggestions on the best way to get this done?

Thanks
Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

If your Hilte will handle it, go for the 2" bit. That's going to be an expensive bit. Most likely a core bit, so you'll need an adapter too. Once you get the tooling, either cold chisel a recess to trap the bit so it doesn't wander or make a template to attach to the wall to trap the bit until you get partway into the hole.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #3

drill a 'series' of small holes where you want the hole,,,or where it CAN work for you,,and take a chisel and connect them. You can drill many small holes with same effort as a big hole,,,maybe not QUITE as pretty. IF pretty matters,buy the expensive bit!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
the Musigician

orrrr, maybe just drill/chisel the hole big enough to allow you to easily work, then fill in with cement when done? but what do i know? i'm just a mouse.....

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
drill a 'series' of small holes where you want the hole,,,or where it CAN work for you,,and take a chisel and connect them. You can drill many small holes with same effort as a big hole,,,maybe not QUITE as pretty. IF pretty matters,buy the expensive bit!!
I need to expand the current 1" hole, so I am not sure how I can manage the small holes around the 1" hole without slipping into the current hole with the bit. I have a chisel for the hammer drill, but never found it to work all that well.
Jamie
Old 10-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
If your Hilte will handle it, go for the 2" bit. That's going to be an expensive bit. Most likely a core bit, so you'll need an adapter too. Once you get the tooling, either cold chisel a recess to trap the bit so it doesn't wander or make a template to attach to the wall to trap the bit until you get partway into the hole.
If I made a template and used the large bit, do you think this work work to expand the current 1" hole? i.e. if I center the template with a 2 inch hole on it over the current 1" hole, then drill with the 2 inch bit? I am just kind of unsure how it's going to work trying to expand the current hole to a larger one.

Jamie