Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #1

Share |

large window close to corner

Hi,
I need a bit of advice. I'm building a cottage and I want to put a 3' wide by 5' 9" tall window close to a corner. How close can I put it to the corner before I am creating a problem where I need to worry about lost shear control etc.

Sorry. this is single story, 2"x6" stick framed gable ended structure.

Thanks a ton...or tonne.

Last edited by morpho; 07-29-2010 at 05:29 PM.
morpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #2

here is a "picture" of what I want to do. I would like to have it a bit closer than it appears here. It's currently 2'. I'd like it about a a foot from the corner.
Possible?
Attached Thumbnails
large window close to corner-corner-window.jpg  

Old 07-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
the Musigician

I see no problem at 12". I installed 2 in a bedroom corner with 6x6 support and they ended up just about 12" from the corner on the outside, 6" on the inside. The inspector already saw it.... no problems.
Hope this helps.

DM
Attached Thumbnails
large window close to corner-corner.jpg  
Old 07-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #4

Where are you located ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #5

Just put it there in the plans being reviewed by the Building Department. They will just require a shear panel (next to window on main house side) attached with a header to the corner and possibly some straps at the header and plate lines. A few hold-downs through the bottom plate to the concrete foundation or slab on grade and you're good to go.

Be safe, Gary
Old 07-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #6

WOW!
That was pretty fast!

DangerMouse, That is some serious green outside those windows!

Scuba_Dave, I am in Central Alberta Canada.

GBR, I fear the ideas the code guy's keep coming up with.
But maybe thats the thing to do. I was thinking of bracing with 2x4's between the 2x6 studs in a kind of lightning or zigzag pattern.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #7

I was giving you my requirements for my seismic zone. Yours is right up there, too: http://earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca...estcan-eng.php This is MINIMUM for shear flow at the corner for high winds or seismic activity. If no permit, and plywood sheathing or siding as in the picture, it's entirely up to you. (Don't hide under that corner in a big one.....) Years ago with board sheathing, code required let-in diagonal bracing at all corners. Research that if going that way as a lot of things factor in.... wall length, height, brace angle, bottom plate hold-downs, etc. Your B.D. has the info.

Be safe, Gary