Lap Spacing On Vinyl Siding Question - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

lap spacing on vinyl siding question

starter strip on, first row on. 30 foot span. how would you vinyl guys do the next row so far as lapping goes? cut the next one in half? 1/3s?

tnkx!

DM

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Start the second course with your cut off piece from the first course. Then all of your laps should stagger in step fashion.

Advertisement

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

The stepped method works, but I don't like the appearance. I find the seams much less noticeable when they are random. I make sure they are spaced at least a few feet apart, and I try not to have any seams in the same spot even if it is several courses up. I waste more siding, but it is a nicer appearance.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I do the same, random. I keep the tape in the pouch and keep them at least 2' apart. Don't forget to cut for expansions if you run a cut end in the field.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Also. adjacent pieces should overlap so the the overlapping sections will be closer to end of the wall from which you want the junction to be least visible - makes quite a bit of difference.

Home Inspection: "A business with illogically high liability, slim profit margins and limited economies of scale. An incredibly diverse, multi-disciplined consulting service, delivered under difficult in-field circumstances, before a hostile audience in an impossibly short time frame, requiring the production of an extraordinarily detailed technical report, almost instantly, without benefit of research facilities or resources." - Alan Carson
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote