Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #1

Share |

Lap siding installation advice

I have finished installing a couple pieces of lap siding on my front porch the was eaten up by termites. The problem that I had was based on the fact that the concrete was installed after the siding was put on new. Thus when the siding was ripped off, there was a gap between the edge of the concrete and the front side of the new siding. I used a "started board" behind the bottom piece to create the angle and there was still a gap at the bottom.

To fill the gap up, I put backer rod in the gap and then caulked over the top of it. My problem is I am not sure that I did the correct thing but I am not totally happy with the final look. Is there something that I can use to improve the look at the bottom between the concrete edge and the front edge of the siding?

kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #2
Mod

You can fill the gap and caulk as you did but more importantly you need to install flashing to cover the gap.

Caulking alone won’t do.

The flashing should go up the wall behind the building paper 3” and over the top of the concrete 1"-1 ”.

If you don’t have access to a break you should go to a sheet metal shop and have the flashing bent for you.
The flashing should be bent slightly under 90 deg. with a hem on it so it will sit tight on the concrete.

I would also run a bead of caulk on the concrete for the flashing to seat into to prevent water from blowing in under the flashing.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 06-01-2010 at 05:38 AM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #3

Thanks Fish, so the flashing will go under the bottom of the plank and then out over the conctete(an L shape)?
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Mod

It has to go under the building paper and siding.
Read the details of last post again.