The Landing At The Bottom Of The Stairs... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

The landing at the bottom of the stairs...

Hi all,

I'm working on my basement, and trying to figure out what to do about the area at the bottom of the stairs. The stairs are 42" across, with 40" separating the far wall and the nose of the bottom step....except for a 6" area where the foundation wall makes a bump in (I wish the stairs were just 36" farther over or just 36" wide!) Unfortunately, that makes the area between the bottom step and the foundation wall just 22"...not a lot of room. So...what to do? I am thinking a landing is a technical must in this case, but how do I do it? I don' really want to rip the existing step off as it's glued down, so I'll have to build the box around it. How far out should I take the landing into the finished room, should I leave it flush with the stair width?

thanks,

-Jason

Advertisement

JS_in_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You could make the landing even with the bottom step
Then the final step is to either side
Of course that is also a technical violation as the final step to the finished area is only 22" wide + ~10" step depth = 32" total

If your landing area is 36" wide that may be all you need
Need someone that know specific codes

I would ask your Building Dept which they would prefer

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Code here is at least 36" for a landing but 32" should be just fine. Yes, we always leave our landings flush with the side of the stairs. Don't bother poking it out into the room at all.
the carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the replies so far. I have a question regarding the door to the unfinished room. I imagine that the door can not swing over the landing, and for it to swing away from it I'd have to continue the landing out over it's swing distance. Is there anything preventing me from using a sliding door? What about a bi-fold?

Thanks!

-Jason
JS_in_VA is offline   Reply With Quote