Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2007, 02:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

lally column loosed from basement floor

hey guys. i'm helping my brother to re-do his basement and when we moved everything out, we happened to find that the column at the center of the room was hanging freely, bolted to the above i-beam (spanning 16' or so?). There's about 1/8-1/4" gap underneath, but it doesn't seem to be affecting the i-beam much. (which actually makes me wonder about the necessity of the column in the first place) we were lamenting working around the column, too, so it'd be great if we could just unbolt it from above and be rid of it, but i doubt that would be safe or code-kosher. i've heard of sinking basement floors and i'm concerned that this is a foundation problem. any thoughts?
thanks in advance
~jim

sonofthetonsured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
weekend warrior

ehh everyone here is going to tell you to "call a structural engineer blah blah blah" and spend thousands for them to tell you, that, it was designed to be there, and they wouldn't have gone through the costs of installing it if it really wasn't needed.

Now, why the floor sank, is the question. Was it always like that?

johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny331 View Post
ehh everyone here is going to tell you to "call a structural engineer blah blah blah" and spend thousands for them to tell you, that, it was designed to be there, and they wouldn't have gone through the costs of installing it if it really wasn't needed.
"Blah, Blah, Blah??? Are you joking, Johnny? You act as if that's a bad thing to tell people who want to take out a lally column to have it looked at by an Engineer or Architect. It doesn't cost thousands to have someone look at it anyway. Even if it did it''s worth it so that your house doesn't fall into the basement, isn't it?

Quote:
Now, why the floor sank, is the question.
Doesn't someone have to come in and see why that is, and isn't that going to cost something?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny331 View Post
Now, why the floor sank, is the question. Was it always like that?
it definitely wasn't always like that. you can see in the concrete below the square where the column once rested; someone a long time ago (judging by the style) laid linoleum tile and cut carefully around that square area, whereas, if the column was then as it is now (hanging aloft), they could've gone underneath it.
can't say how long it's been like that , as my brother's only been living there for a year and a half.
and for future reference, the house is an end-of-the-row outside Baltimore. 53 years old

Last edited by sonofthetonsured; 06-27-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:53 AM   #5

On the upper levels, are there signs of settling? Doors not aligned, cracks in the walls (usually near a door opening or in the corners).

If you don't mind having the column there, just install some shims on top and put in a couple screws on the flange.

However, if you want to remove the column, you may want to have someone look at it. Keep in mind, those colums actually support the roof as well as the rest of the structure in your house.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #6

is it possible whoever had it before had something under the column to keep it from having direct contact with the cement floor and maybe at some point it rotted out or got knocked out???? Have you taken any measurements to see if your floors are still level? I am no GC or engineer but it sounds like it was their for a reason and if it was me I wouldn't remove it.I would try to find out why the gap came about then do like Jeekinz said and shim it or get it back to supporting what it is suppose to that is unless you want to have someone come in a tell you if it is needed or not
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #7

i didn't see any evidence of the floors settling (no cracks, no mis-aligned doors) which is what made me think that, hell, maybe the column was a redundant failsafe. and i don't think it was shimmed before, but rather seemed like the flange was just set in the concrete, and eventually pulled out.
in the end, though, there'd be no problem leaving it in and working around it, but i was concerned that the basement floor sinking (which is what i assumed happened or is happening) may be a symptom of something more worrisome. like i said, i recall coming across somewhere online someone equating a sinking basement floor with foundation trouble. -i don't recall seeing anything else that would suggest that in the walls, but i'll take a look again when i go back down tomorrow night

Last edited by sonofthetonsured; 06-28-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #8

Check the beam it's supporting as well. If it's made up of 2x's, they may have put the column underneath where two boards butt against one another.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Check the beam it's supporting as well. If it's made up of 2x's, they may have put the column underneath where two boards butt against one another.
no, it's an I-beam