Lally Column - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lally Column

Hello,
I need to replace a lally column in my basement. The poured cement floor right around it has got soft and I am afraid the column may be sinking.
My thoughts...
-Reinforce the main beam that it is holding up with 2 temporary columns just to the right and left of existing column.
-Knock out the existing column.
-Need to know how far down to dig to pour a new cement footer (Best cement to use?)
-Level out the floor
-Pour a small maybe 3 inch high and 2x2 feet wide to place the column on top of.
-Install the new column
-Remove the temporary columns.
Am I way off??

Advertisement

StevenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Lally Column

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenT View Post
Hello,
I need to replace a lally column in my basement. The poured cement floor right around it has got soft and I am afraid the column may be sinking.
My thoughts...
-Reinforce the main beam that it is holding up with 2 temporary columns just to the right and left of existing column.
-Knock out the existing column.
-Need to know how far down to dig to pour a new cement footer (Best cement to use?)
-Level out the floor
-Pour a small maybe 3 inch high and 2x2 feet wide to place the column on top of.
-Install the new column
-Remove the temporary columns.
Am I way off??
I've never seen this happen. Where are you and when was the house built?
To determine the size of the footer, it would help if you told us the type of house you had? Ranch? Colonial?

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Lally Column

The house is in South Jersey. A bungalow built in the 20's or 30's.
StevenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Lally Column

Concrete does not get soft. Take a measurement of the column from header to floor, and compare to another column. Then post back with results. Also, you can take measurements at the walls on opposite sides. Only way to know that a Lolly column is collapsing, would be that doors become out of alignment, and the floor slopes. One way to check, is to take a golf ball and let it roll.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
column , installation on concrete , lally , lolly