DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  gregzoll 
#1 ·
Hello,
I need to replace a lally column in my basement. The poured cement floor right around it has got soft and I am afraid the column may be sinking.
My thoughts...
-Reinforce the main beam that it is holding up with 2 temporary columns just to the right and left of existing column.
-Knock out the existing column.
-Need to know how far down to dig to pour a new cement footer (Best cement to use?)
-Level out the floor
-Pour a small maybe 3 inch high and 2x2 feet wide to place the column on top of.
-Install the new column
-Remove the temporary columns.
Am I way off??

#2 ·
Hello,
I need to replace a lally column in my basement. The poured cement floor right around it has got soft and I am afraid the column may be sinking.
My thoughts...
-Reinforce the main beam that it is holding up with 2 temporary columns just to the right and left of existing column.
-Knock out the existing column.
-Need to know how far down to dig to pour a new cement footer (Best cement to use?)
-Level out the floor
-Pour a small maybe 3 inch high and 2x2 feet wide to place the column on top of.
-Install the new column
-Remove the temporary columns.
Am I way off??
I've never seen this happen. Where are you and when was the house built?
To determine the size of the footer, it would help if you told us the type of house you had? Ranch? Colonial?

#4 ·
Concrete does not get soft. Take a measurement of the column from header to floor, and compare to another column. Then post back with results. Also, you can take measurements at the walls on opposite sides. Only way to know that a Lolly column is collapsing, would be that doors become out of alignment, and the floor slopes. One way to check, is to take a golf ball and let it roll.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.