DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Laid Down Concrete Incorrectly

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Lansing 
#1 ·
I had a pipe that needed to be moved from the middle of the room into the wall. To accomplish this I needed to break up the concrete and dig up the foundation to expose the pipe underground.

I have accomplished all of this and had a plumber move the pipe into the wall. Now comes the reconstruction. The pipe was ABS so I wrapped it in some soil fabric, then poured down a large amount of rock, concrete and soil mixture. that I originally removed.

I leveled it off and then poured in the wet concrete.

My mistake was I did not pack down the mix of rock, soil and old concrete. I only realized this after the fact. I am worried now that the concrete will not be stable and begin to crack.

This work was done in a bathroom. There will be beams of 2x4 laid down on the concrete and then a sheet of plywood on top of the 2x4 for the floor. My question is, will this be strong enough? I thought about it and the plywood/2x4s should distribute the weight and their shouldn't be a huge amount of pressure on any single area. This is only an area about 5 feet long and 2 feet wide (average). It was a repair job, not a full reconstruction.

I am also hoping that because I poured in a large amount of rock and old concrete that there will be much less give than with pure soil.

Am I ok or do I have to redo this?

See less See more
#3 ·
No way to know for sure if it will hold up. If the joists span it, I wouldn't worry about it quite as much.

The best practice would be to drill in some reinforcement to span the gap (tying old and new concrete together) and re-pour the concrete on top of a good solid base. That way you'll know for sure. Everything else is just a guess.

#4 ·
I don't know the code for plumbers but filling in with what you used would not be allowed for an electtrical pipe. The large rocks and concrete cannot be allowed to touch or basically in the same level as the pipe due to the fact they will move and can actually break a pipe.

I would think the plumbers have a similar code to follow.

#5 ·
Been there done it many times...The backfill materal you used is ok for plumbing pipe...Lay out your 2x4's across the concrete repairand insulation you plan to use and finish your project...You will not have any problems to worry about on what you did...Your doing ok there...

Lansing

#6 ·
It will depend on how much concrete you poured over the loose fill mixture. And how large an area you're talking about.
I don't know how you can venture a prognosis without the details of the job.
Ron

#7 ·
Experience...If he put even 1-1/2" of concrete mix over the cut out area it would seal it up...This repair does not support the bathroom flooring he is installing...The old concrete floor is doing that on each side in the room...If he gets a flood of water , whatever , nothing will stop it from coming in the basement as it has many other areas it can come in...The part of the this repair he was worried about , he does not need worry about...From what he said here it will be fine...I told him that...OK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.