Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #1

Share |

Lag Bolts...

Hello. What size lag bolts should I use when attaching 2x6's to 4x4 post that I have cemented into the ground? These 2x6's will be around the bottom of the deck I'm building. Thanks...

smittyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #2

Lag Bolts...

Going to need more info.
4 X 4's are no longer expectable in most areas and for sure not just attached to the outside of the post.
And through bolts only.
Must be one small deck if your only using 2 X 6's. That's the size I'd use for a stoop.
Get a permit for this?

Old 05-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #3

Lag Bolts...

what is the purpose of the 2x6's?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #4

Lag Bolts...

If you provide additional information you will likely get back some very good direction. In my experience you may not place a post into concrete. You need to install a poured concrete pier below the frost line and place a "wet anchor" in the pier and then set your post into the wet anchor.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
Rob

Lag Bolts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyd View Post
Hello. What size lag bolts should I use when attaching 2x6's to 4x4 post that I have cemented into the ground? These 2x6's will be around the bottom of the deck I'm building. Thanks...
Best I can come up with is nail a 2x4" below the 2x6" and use 2, 1/2 through bolts.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #6

Lag Bolts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
what is the purpose of the 2x6's?
4 2x6's will be put around the bottom attached to the 4x4's. Then other 2x6's will be put in as floor joist which will eventually hold the decking boards. I'm going to lag bolt the 4 2x6's to the 4x4's. I just need to know what size lag bolts for strength. This is a 10x10 deck for a hot tub.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

Lag Bolts...

as already stated 4x4`s are no longer acceptable for deck posts unless they are solely for a hand rail, if they are used for bearing posts the deck will not pass any inspection

as for 2x6`s for joists on a 10x10 deck , the only way that will fly is if the deck is fully supported by sitting on a concrete pad or something of the like. 2x6`s are no longer accepted as a joist and if your planning on putting a hot tub on the deck theres a very good chance that deck wont last a season. i wont build a deck thats supporting a hot tube with anything less than 2x10
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
joecaption (05-04-2014), Msradell (05-04-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #8

Lag Bolts...

Way under sized floor joist and rim joist!!!
Not even close to minimum code!
Old 05-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #9

Lag Bolts...

Quote:
4 2x6's will be put around the bottom attached to the 4x4's. Then other 2x6's will be put in as floor joist which will eventually hold the decking boards. I'm going to lag bolt the 4 2x6's to the 4x4's. I just need to know what size lag bolts for strength. This is a 10x10 deck for a hot tub.
You are WAY WAY under built for a hot tub!! Go to the website for hot springs hot tubs, poke around and ou will find a deck designer application which is free. Give it a look and IT will ALSO tell you that you are wan under built?....but will also give you specific plans to do it correctly. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #10
Civil Engineer

Lag Bolts...

To the OPS: I am going to presume that you are building the deck in an area that does not have any codes, or perhaps there are codes but they are not enforced, or maybe your project is exempt from code. Whatever the case, you ask about the required size of lag bolts. So now you run into a curious problem.

The majority of deck builders construct their deck in accordance with the Prescriptive Residential Deck Construction Guide, available here http://www.awc.org/publications/dca/dca6/dca6-09.pdf.

This guide tells you everything you could possibly want to know about constructing a deck, including sizing of all elements, how to put them together, allowable materials etc... But you clearly are not following this guide, for whatever reasons, so nothing in this guide is useful to you. So the question becomes, "Do You Feel Lucky?" Well, do you?

There are many ways to design a project. You can follow code, in which case there is little to think about, and not a whole lot to worry about. Or you can do your own engineering, which is what you need to do. You need to calculate the shear forces on the lag screws and the wood, and determine the required size of the lag screws, and the minimum size of the wood members you are connecting, based on fundamental principles of mechanics. And that is not very simple, and since you are asking on an internet chat forum, I presume you do not know how to do it. This is why most people keep to the code, it has worked out all the gruesome details of sizing lag screws (actually requires through bolts) and everything else.

So my suggestion is to download the guide, read it, and if you don't like it, or think you can do better, go for it. But you are unlikely to find anyone on an internet chat forum who wants to do the mathematics of computing the shear forces on those screws to size them for you. And if you do find someone, be a little careful, since a licensed professional who knows how to do it is prohibited by law (at least in the United States) from practicing engineering over the internet, which leaves unlicensed, non-professionals to do the work for you. Are you feeling lucky?
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #11
Rob

Lag Bolts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
To the OPS: I am going to presume that you are building the deck in an area that does not have any codes, or perhaps there are codes but they are not enforced, or maybe your project is exempt from code. Whatever the case, you ask about the required size of lag bolts. So now you run into a curious problem.

The majority of deck builders construct their deck in accordance with the Prescriptive Residential Deck Construction Guide, available here http://www.awc.org/publications/dca/dca6/dca6-09.pdf.

This guide tells you everything you could possibly want to know about constructing a deck, including sizing of all elements, how to put them together, allowable materials etc... But you clearly are not following this guide, for whatever reasons, so nothing in this guide is useful to you. So the question becomes, "Do You Feel Lucky?" Well, do you?

There are many ways to design a project. You can follow code, in which case there is little to think about, and not a whole lot to worry about. Or you can do your own engineering, which is what you need to do. You need to calculate the shear forces on the lag screws and the wood, and determine the required size of the lag screws, and the minimum size of the wood members you are connecting, based on fundamental principles of mechanics. And that is not very simple, and since you are asking on an internet chat forum, I presume you do not know how to do it. This is why most people keep to the code, it has worked out all the gruesome details of sizing lag screws (actually requires through bolts) and everything else.

So my suggestion is to download the guide, read it, and if you don't like it, or think you can do better, go for it. But you are unlikely to find anyone on an internet chat forum who wants to do the mathematics of computing the shear forces on those screws to size them for you. And if you do find someone, be a little careful, since a licensed professional who knows how to do it is prohibited by law (at least in the United States) from practicing engineering over the internet, which leaves unlicensed, non-professionals to do the work for you. Are you feeling lucky?
3/8" x 3 1/2 inches
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #12

Lag Bolts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
as already stated 4x4`s are no longer acceptable for deck posts unless they are solely for a hand rail, if they are used for bearing posts the deck will not pass any inspection

as for 2x6`s for joists on a 10x10 deck , the only way that will fly is if the deck is fully supported by sitting on a concrete pad or something of the like. 2x6`s are no longer accepted as a joist and if your planning on putting a hot tub on the deck theres a very good chance that deck wont last a season. i wont build a deck thats supporting a hot tube with anything less than 2x10
Yes, I will be putting pads as support under the 2x6's to help support the hot tub. It will be beefed up in the center area.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #13

Lag Bolts...

Quote:
Yes, I will be putting pads as support under the 2x6's to help support the hot tub. It will be beefed up in the center area.
I live in south Texas. My 2x6's will be only 4 inches off the ground. Again, and will be supported with cement pads.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #14

Lag Bolts...

Quote:
I live in south Texas. My 2x6's will be only 4 inches off the ground. Again, and will be supported with cement pads.
Missing something I guess. If you are going to fully support those two bye sixes by putting them on a cement pad, what do you need lag bolts for?? Pour your slam and set. The frame on it direct. But first do lookup the very detailed construction guide on the hot springs site. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #15

Lag Bolts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront02769 View Post
Missing something I guess. If you are going to fully support those two bye sixes by putting them on a cement pad, what do you need lag bolts for?? Pour your slam and set. The frame on it direct. But first do lookup the very detailed construction guide on the hot springs site. Ron
Cement pad was the wrong word. It's cement blocks strategically set under different 2x6's to help support the weight. Thanks...